Jump to content
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniforms and Badges


oscarquebec
 Share

Recommended Posts

Appreciate help please identifying the uniforms of the two soldiers pictured. One I believe is my wife’s grandfather 32086 Sgt. Yerrell Albert RGA. The cap badge seems to confirm Artillery but both have machine gun badges on their arms.

rga uniform.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, oscarquebec said:

Appreciate help please identifying the uniforms of the two soldiers pictured. One I believe is my wife’s grandfather 32086 Sgt. Yerrell Albert RGA. The cap badge seems to confirm Artillery but both have machine gun badges on their arms.

rga uniform.jpg

Royal Artillery cap badge- cannot say RGA or RFA.

Prize Battery badge on left sleeve. Crossed cannons with crown above.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

His service record is possibly still held by the MoD under his 1919 renumbering, 1405012.

RA Attestations ledger gives some info:

"Royal Artillery attestations 1883-1942 Image | findmypast.co.uk" https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FROYALART%2F1404057-1405046%2F00162&parentid=GBM%2FROYALART%2F155496

Attested 19/8/09 aged 17yrs9mths, served WWI entitled to BWM and VM. Discharged 18/8/21.

He was at Catterick in Sept 1918 being innoculated. 

The hospital admission page is headed M Battery. 

Charlie

Edited by charlie962
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Royal Artillery cap badge- cannot say RGA or RFA.

Prize Battery badge on left sleeve. Crossed cannons with crown above.

Ankle boots and trousers, rather than pantaloons suggests RGA for both men charlie.

33C7C2FC-C89E-41F4-ACE1-A11DA7D303DC.jpeg

 

375BD55C-2003-4D8B-BDA9-76D774D0AEFA.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Previous threads.

"Sergeant 32086 Albert Yerrell RGA - Soldiers and their units - The Great War (1914-1918) Forum" https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/177963-sergeant-32086-albert-yerrell-rga/ 

And here 

"RGA and POWs in Malta - Soldiers and their units - The Great War (1914-1918) Forum" https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/177207-rga-and-pows-in-malta/ 

Here by Gunner87 

"Question about the RGA - Soldiers and their units - The Great War (1914-1918) Forum" https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/287663-question-about-the-rga/#comment-2969059

 

 

 

 

11 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

suggests

Suggests. Would walking out be the same for RFA

Charlie

Edited by charlie962
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Previous threads.

"Sergeant 32086 Albert Yerrell RGA - Soldiers and their units - The Great War (1914-1918) Forum" https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/177963-sergeant-32086-albert-yerrell-rga/ 

 

 

 

Suggests. Would walking out be the same for RFA

Charlie

No, they wore spurs and pantaloons (long, tight fitting to the ankle).  Note also the whip.  RGA carried a swagger stick.  However, there were some RGA drivers and by the end of the war you couldn’t differentiate at a glance between them and their direct RFA/RHA counterparts. 

62C0522B-8C5F-4F06-8F65-9DE3BD8B299F.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, charlie962 said:

Ah!

The full dress distinction was clear and unambiguous, it was working dress where things could be a little more nuanced. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

The full dress distinction was clear and unambiguous, it was working dress where things could be a little more nuanced. 

I have Campbell but was too idle to look it up. Shame...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

I have Campbell but was too idle to look it up. Shame...

It always looks a bit incongruous to see gunners with loose trousers and ankle boots, but the RGA pre war were very much a dismounted corps and organised in battalions and companies, only becoming ‘Batteries of Position’ when manning their fixed or coastal guns, other than in India.  It was only the enforced, widescale movement of the war on a much larger scale that changed things to be more mobile.

Edited by FROGSMILE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you all. Can I check the significance of the crown above crossed cannon. Perhaps instructor or master gunner?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, oscarquebec said:

Thank you all. Can I check the significance of the crown above crossed cannon. Perhaps instructor or master gunner?

No. AIGs wore such a badge as part of their rank badges, on the right arm. Crossed guns only.

From1898 crown above crossed guns represents 1st prize. All members of the prize battery or company could wear the badge. The fact that the photo shows two gunners with the same badge fits this award. Worn on left forearm as in the photo.

Charlie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Charlie all clear now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...