The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help trace a casualty on local memorial

Hett65

John LYNN is recorded on Low Spennymoor and Merrington Lane Workingmen's Club war memorial in Spennymoor as a casualty of the 1st WW, he is not recorded on the main war memorial in the town.  I cannot trace him on the AVL 1918; CWGC nor SDGW disc, can anyone assist me with tracing this man.

John

The only Lynn with a Durham connection that I can find is John James Lynn, Durham Light Infantry, 318145, KIA 28 August 1916 but when looking at his paperwork, I find that he was from West Hartlepool so I can't see a link to the Spennymoor area.

Allan1892

Thanks, I was also unable to trace any person by the surname Lynn with a link to the Spennymoor area on the CWGC or SDGW.

John

Hi John

Have you tried John William Lynn Dvr 18889, RFA. Pension cards show widow very close to Spennymoor.

Kind Regards

Derek

Edited by Swinesheadvillage
wrong relation

22 minutes ago, Swinesheadvillage said:

John William Lynn Dvr 18889, RFA.

Certainly looks like your man. The address on card is at Cornforth, about a mile from the Low Spennymoor and Merrington Lane Workingmen's Club

1 hour ago, Swinesheadvillage said:

Pension cards show widow very close to Spennymoor.

John William LYNN, 18889, RFA, Died 21.3.18

Actually: Mother/Step-mother, Mrs Margaret Jane VAULKES of 22 Moor St, Cornforth, Co. Durham [There is another card indexed as George William LYNN - but it is the same chap].

M

Edited by Matlock1418
his full detals

2 hours ago, Swinesheadvillage said:

Have you tried John William Lynn Dvr 18889, RFA. Pension cards show widow very close to Spennymoor.

Looks like you have found him. As you say, West Cornforth is very close to Spennymoor.

I couldn't access the pension records this afternoon for some unknown reason, I kept getting the usual Windows error message saying that the target site was unobtainable. Whatever the reason was, I can access Fold3 now and have seen his pension records.

Allan1892; Derek; Corisande & Matlock

Thank you all for your input on this man, I will make further enquiries to see what I can find on him

John

Good Morning, there is a John W Lynn recorded on on the Holy Trinity Church Memorial in Cornforth and a J W Lynn on the Cornforth War Memorial in the High Street at Cornforth. 

Toontraveller

Thanks, when I was given his name in previous posts I checked and found his name on those memorials, I am now just trying to see what connection he may have had with Low Spennymoor and Merrington Lane.

John

John, apologies did not know you had the information. Should have known you would!