Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this a WW1 helmet?

Arne Vandendriessche

Thank you,

When I'm sure what metal it is, I'll let you know here.
I also ask anyone who lives in the area or has never had a firefighter live in the location where I found it.

Arne

Hello,

Sorry to put you on the wrong track but the material is aluminum.

Arne

• 3 weeks later...

Someone I saw yesterday thought it might be part of the inside of a helmet. Would this be possible and was aluminum used for this?

Arne

• 7 months later...

Sorry but I have one more question ;-).

I am now sure that the material of this find (see photos in start of topic) is aluminum. It seemed illogical to me that they would just wear an aluminum helmet on their head so this came to my mind: Several helmets have a burlap or leather exterior (eg tank helmets) Maybe this was the inside of a similar helmet and the holes were used to attach it to the aluminum part?

Arne

Hi Arne,

My interest in helmets is limited to those made of steel and I think you will find that the French Great War period tank helmets were made using an altered Adrian steel helmet.  It is correct that Adrian style helmets made of aluminium were manufactured, for instance for parade wear, but your "helmet" is not the remains of one of those. 

However, looking at your "helmet", it is just possible that it is what remains of a flying or crash helmet of some kind.  Below you will find a link illustrating the type of helmet I mean.  I know the example illustrated is said to have a cork bowl,  but quite a number of different models exist.  For instance,  Paolo Marzetti has several different types illustrated in his book, and a zinc/aluminium bowl is quite possible given the helmets were designed to protect in the event of a crash rather than against shell splinters, etc.  Anyway, the above is pure speculation but a search on the internet for flying helmets, etc. may turn-up something.  Good luck with your search.

Best wishes,

Michael. 

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/helmet-flying-protective-french-air-service/nasm_A19330055000