Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick Montague 83728 O.C.1 RN

Captain White

Frederick Montague 83728 O.C.1 RN

Trying to locate any data on Fred as he served aboard HMS Good Hope and HMS Suffolk at the beginning of WWI but was transferred to Victory I 31st Oct 1914 as an Officers Chef, he remained there until 23rd June 1919.

Fred was a long serving veteran dating back to Sept 1873 and saw service in the Ashantee war of 1873/74 and the Zulu war of 1879 but it's his time at Victory I that I would like to search for and that includes any possible photos. As an officers chef and shore based the he would have rubbed shoulders with many high ranking officers so there might be records of that time available?

As an Officers' Cook he served on a Non-Continuous Service (NCS) engagement. This explains the frequent discharges to 'Shore' and the gaps in his record of service pre-WW1.

It is likely that he was employed in the wardroom galley of the HMS VICTORY barracks. I doubt that he "rubbed shoulders with many high ranking officers" who messed in the VICTORY Wardroom.

The chances of his appearing in any surviving records will be vanishingly small. He was not a Chief Cook and as an OC1 he would probably have led a watch of jhunior cooks, producing meals as required, Important, steady work but not headline-grabbing, I think.