The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Steel Shell Case

andrew pugh

Good Afternoon to you.

I hope someone can help in identifying an empty shell case that I found while having a look around the Hohenzollern Redoubt last week. I will try to add a photo at some point. It does not have a flat even base like the British18 pounder or the German 77mm. It has a round groove at the bottom with another round bit in the middle. It also surprisingly has a round fibre disc inside at the bottom. How that has survived all those years I don't know.

After cleaning out the mud and soil there is a small patch that is so clean and shiny I could not believe what I was looking at, very unusual. Could It be a French 75mm?.The drive band looks different from the British 18 pounder and the German 77mm.

Your thoughts would be most welcome until I can get a picture on the thread. I also have a bullet casing I found in the garden today the markings on the bottom are W14 VII any clues?

Regards

Andy

43 minutes ago, andrew pugh said:

I also have a bullet casing I found in the garden today the markings on the bottom are W14 VII any clues?

Regards

Andy

Hi,

I believe the headstamp on your casing shows it to be 1914 dated, mark VII ammunition. 
 You’re probably going to need to post a photograph of your shell to get an id. The fibre disk may be vulcanised asbestos. 

Hi GWF1967

Thank you for the reply concerning my bullet case found in my garden and the steel shell case which was found last week at the Hohenzollern Redoubt. I will try to down load a couple of pictures on the forum. Thanks' again.

Andy

'W' headstamp on 303 Mk.VII case probably means US-made Winchester ammunition. I think they were a supplier from 1914.

Hi

Here are a few pictures of the shell case I found at the Hohenzollern Redoubt last week . Note the shiny spot under the rust. It also has a fibre disc at the bottom. Your thought would be most welcome.

Regards

Andy

Shell Case 1.JPG

Shell Case 2.JPG

Shell Case 3.JPG

Andy,

It looks like a German 7.6cm Minenwerfer H.E. round - a light trench mortar.

Mike

352c.JPG.2c11ac39300454c61b3dd8160b87a585.JPG

The remarks in the document refer to prematures in the bore.

Looking at the photos makes you wonder....

I’d say it’s a 7.5 German Minenwefer round. 79CFD23C-2780-4028-9519-2C444D110B4D.jpeg.e2664a721c61905f7633f7813bae50f1.jpeg6A2E4CCB-7B55-43FD-8DB5-8C9F977626AD.jpeg.1da90a2ba671be672cc0671f6991b33e.jpeg9031A7B5-4DF3-47D6-B194-26C1AB960EA8.jpeg.35216ac35dda95b86a2c2226675afe2e.jpeg

Hi Mike

Thank you for the excellent information you have given. I will try to give it a clean at some point to see how clean it is under the rust. Are they quite rare t find? I have never seen one before. I came across a Cooper bomb up near the Redan Ridge some years ago. Once again thank you.

Kind Regards

Andy 

Hi Yay dubya

Thanks for your reply. Hope my one cleans up as well as yours. I will also look after the material disc which has also survived over a 100 years. I noticed on the picture  given on the previous thread it mentions that the inside of the steel  container that they were tinned when manufactured perhaps that is why is why it is still quit shiny in places.

Once again thank you both

Kind Regards

Andy