Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Strange piece to define

Flavio

Hi everyone, I'm here to ask for your help in identifying a piece found in the English area ... Thank you very much for your attention IMG_20220328_094525.jpg.ab82afba806321eaba2ff54127f986c0.jpg

IMG_20220328_094538.jpg

IMG_20220328_094552.jpg

IMG_20220328_094849.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Flavio,

My best guess would be that it is a “Flanders Flap”, the small metal box that was fitted to the muzzle of the SMLE rifle to keep dirt out of the bore.

See threads by JHIdeas who, I believe, has made 3-D printed replicas.

Regards,

JMB

11 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

Flavio,

My best guess would be that it is a “Flanders Flap”, the small metal box that was fitted to the muzzle of the SMLE rifle to keep dirt out of the bore.

See threads by JHIdeas who, I believe, has made 3-D printed replicas.

Regards,

JMB

Thanks, @JMB1943 it seems like a piece of the flap but at this point I try to listen to the user you mentioned who is truly a 3-D printer genius if perhaps it is the Flanders Flap, but a variant. What do you think?

Looking at your photo and one of a FF made by JHideas they are different enough that I now do not believe it is a FF.

I am not aware of any variants of the FF being made or issued to British forces.

Perhaps a continental army muzzle flap?

Regards,

JMB

29 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Looking at your photo and one of a FF made by JHideas they are different enough that I now do not believe it is a FF.

I am not aware of any variants of the FF being made or issued to British forces.

Perhaps a continental army muzzle flap?

Regards,

JMB

I don't see how it could be one either. There's a  radius underneath in the 2nd picture, suggesting it fitted on a light artillery barrel or towing pole. I'd guess there's a missing pivot piece that hinged on the two folded tabs at one end and might have had some spring-loaded plunger engaging in the hole at the opposite end.I flipped through Early British Quick Firing Artillery by Len Trawin to see if anything looked like it, but without result.

Guys, I'm honest, one of the most difficult components when researching battlefields (obviously the nations on the field were many English, Italian, Austrian, German, French) is precisely that of being able to identify some particular objects that we find to which we don't know, perhaps we will never know, give a place of use and their country of origin... And at the moment I also have some open discussions here in the forum in which the pieces found by me and my son do not have a certain definition