Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Aero Club Ticket Find

thedawnpatrol

Picked this up recently in a Antiques shop......

any info gratefully received please, looking at the date in 1918 I don't suppose he saw any active service?

thank you

IMG_9350.JPG

IMG_9351.JPG

IMG_9352.JPG

What a great find!  I'm searching to identify a number of Sergeant Pilots who got their wings in 1918 but have no photograph in the Royal Aero Club records.  Sadly, Frederick William Hunt isn't one of them...but, still, what an awesome discovery.  I'm jealous!!!!

Hunt was assigned to the "Independent Force" on 23 Oct 1918 and apparently was a DH9 pilot.  He did serve briefly with the BEF, probably from 23 Oct 1918 thru 27 Nov 1918.  He returned to the UK on the latter date.

Edited by Buffnut453

Thank you Buffnut  that's really helpful.........where did you get that info from ? 

it would be nice to attribute a squadron to his DH9's if possible.

my Great Uncle was a Sgt Pilot............Samuel James Mitchell AFM...........

Samuel James Mitchell AFM.jpg

At that time, the only Independent Force squadrons equipped with the DH9/DH9A were Nos 99, 104 and 110; I have a partial roster for each squadron but sadly Hunt's name does not appear in any of them.

Graeme

I found the info on FMP which has 2 service records for Hunt, one a post-war officer's record and also his Great War-vintage enlisted service record.  The records show 2 different Service Numbers (317019 and 516951) but the records are definitely for the same man.  

Edited by Buffnut453

4 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

records show 2 different Service Numbers (317019 and 516951)

317019 was his RFC number. Prior to transfer to RFC on 1/1/1918 he had attested to the London Regiment on 14/5/17 with number 516951. That number seems to fall in the range used by the 14th London Regt.

Charlie

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

317019 was his RFC number. Prior to transfer to RFC on 1/1/1918 he had attested to the London Regiment on 14/5/17 with number 516951. That number seems to fall in the range used by the 14th London Regt.

Charlie

That's weird because 317019 appears on his RFC record but 516951 appears on his postwar RAF Officer's record.  Can't imagine why a number from his service prior to the RFC would appear on the RAF record into the 1920s.  

13 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

Can't imagine why a number from his service prior to the RFC would appear on the RAF record

Can you post the link to that officer record on fmp please?

Edit- ok I have seen it.

It says:

"Sgt 516951

14th Res Bn C of London Regt." 

And another page says :

"Pte 51695. London Scottish"

Edited by charlie962

On 28/03/2022 at 22:29, thedawnpatrol said:

Picked this up recently in a Antiques shop......

A great find.

On 29/03/2022 at 10:30, thedawnpatrol said:

my Great Uncle was a Sgt Pilot............Samuel James Mitchell AFM...........

Great photo.

An observation ... interesting to note he had a 'Chaplin' moustache - loved by young men but despised by older Regulars!

M