The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Air combat over Nieppe 9 Oct 1918

stevebecker

Mates,

A combat over Nieppe happened on the 9 Oct 1918 by Lt Kerr and Thornton from 4 Sqn AFC.

A German DFW (offical history) or LVG (Sqn report) was forced down and the crew captured?

I can't find who the German crew are

The book Jasta War gives no insight or does there appear to be any mention  of the crew?

reported Sopwith Camel (E7241) Lt Thornton and Sopwith Camel (E7190) Lt Kerr WIA 9-10-18 head, L/arm & thigh & injuried in bad landing or crash near Steenwerck after combat with a LVG / DFW near Nieppe which forced it down and captured

It was said he crashed on landing near the German plane to captured the crew?

Do you have any Germans captured or killed around that date to confirm what unit or who the crew are?

Cheers

S.B

8 hours ago, stevebecker said:

Mates,

A combat over Nieppe happened on the 9 Oct 1918 by Lt Kerr and Thornton from 4 Sqn AFC.

A German DFW (offical history) or LVG (Sqn report) was forced down and the crew captured?

I can't find who the German crew are

The book Jasta War gives no insight or does there appear to be any mention  of the crew?

reported Sopwith Camel (E7241) Lt Thornton and Sopwith Camel (E7190) Lt Kerr WIA 9-10-18 head, L/arm & thigh & injuried in bad landing or crash near Steenwerck after combat with a LVG / DFW near Nieppe which forced it down and captured

It was said he crashed on landing near the German plane to captured the crew?

Do you have any Germans captured or killed around that date to confirm what unit or who the crew are?

Cheers

S.B

Hi

'Casualties of the German Air Service, 1914-20' by Franks, Bailey and Duiven, page 378, has two POW recorded for the 9th October, 1918.  These are Sgt. Greyer (pilot) and Ltn.d.R. Kohnke (observer, umlaut over 'o' of his name) of FA 13.  It mentions Steewerck as location.

I don't know if this will match your information.

Mike

The 4 Squadron AFC Squadron Record Book states: "1 D.F.W. seen over Nieppe at 4000 feet.  This E.A. was forced to land in our lines by 2/Lts Thornton and Kerr."

The associated combat report says: "L.V.G., light brown wings and fuselage, national markings.   Speed and armament unknown.

While flying towards the lines on a Special Mission we saw a 2 seater machine over Merville which opened fire on us.  We both immediately dived on this E.A. from the side.  2/Lt. Thornton fired about 200 rounds from a range of 50 feet.  2/Lt. Kerr then fired 100 rounds from 50 feet.  E.A. continued diving until practically on the ground being followed by 2/Lts. Thornton and Kerr both firing.

E.A. landed near Nieppe."

As Mike has posted, the most likely candidates are Sgt Greyer and Ltn d R Köhnke of FA13 who were recorded as pow at Steenwerck which is 5 Km east of Nieppe.

My notes for Kerr show him taking off at 05:20 in Camel E7190 then hitting telegraph wires in a forced landing near Steenwerck at 05:50 after being wounded on a special mission.

Graeme

1 hour ago, topgun1918 said:

Sgt Greyer and Ltn d R Köhnke of FA13

That would be Robert Greyer and Ernst Köhncke

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/1858974/1/2/

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/244924/1/2/

VzFldw Greyer is recorded by the RC as being captured at Armentières, the RC sheets for Ltn.d.R. Köhncke are unfortunately not where they should be.

Charlie

Edited by charlie2

Thanks for providing the full names for Greyer and Köhncke.

Armentières is just a little east of Nieppe, so all of the locations make sense.  The two-seater was spotted over Merville and evidently chased in a north-easterly direction.  If the reported location of the forced landing 'near Nieppe' was actually just east of that town, it would place the scene close to Armentières where Greyer is reported to have been taken prisoner.

Graeme

Mates,

Thank you well done, always good to fill the gaps.

I did wonder why a DFW or LVG would by flown by Flieger-Abteilung 13

I would think these were flying more modern fighters, and the two seaters to units like  Fliegerabteilung (Artillerie)

S.B

Edited by stevebecker