Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to find Company staff, (F Coy)2nd and (C Coy) 50th Battalion

tankengine888

Hello!

My relative, Lance Corporal Foster was a machine gunner, killed along with his Company Commander Captain Harold Armitage. My Great great great uncle was one Patrick McNamara 2439, killed with them but in a different company I think, but on the same day, April 2nd, 1917. My other great uncle, James McNamara 661, Killed “at some stage” during Lone pine in August, F Company, 2nd Battalion, yet I cannot find any information about F Company, but aye. Could anyone shed light on the company staff for C Company 50th battalion (April 1917 preferred) and F Company 2nd Battalion (August 1915 preferred)

much appreciated if you do find out anything

ttfn, still at school doing math/arithmetic

Edited by tankengine888

Hi TE888,

I have a quick look in the 2nd Battalion Diaries and at the beginning there were 6 Companies, A to F.

There is a statement for the date 5th May 1915 that "it was necessary to re-organise Companies and Officers were distributed as follows:

A, B, C and D Companies" The text is hard to read concerning the disposition of Officers (Perhaps someone with a Battalion History may be able to clarify) but E and F company were gone from that date.

So his initial assignment was F Coy but I could find nothing in the dairies as where the men were allocated .

I have attached a scan of the page for you

Cheers

Peter 

2nd Batn 5 May 1915.jpg