Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Driver L/10718 Henry Wilkinson Mentioned in Despatches

Robuk88

Morning Troops,

I am doing some research on Driver L/10718 Henry Wilkinson he was mentioned in despatched. I wondered if anyone can find as to why he was awarded the MID.

Much appreciated.

Rob

I also have this information if it helps. I am unsure how to access them.

Gazette Issue 30077. Mentioned in Despatches. Sir Douglas Haig's Despatch of 9th April, submitting names deserving a special mention, published in the London Gazette of Tuesday, 15th May, 1917.

Gazette Date:
18/05/1917
Gazette Page:

Hello Rob

"Mentions in despatches" are simply lists of men (name, rank, regiment, number) who had rendered service worthy of being brought to the attention of the War Office. The Despatches do not contain any more information than that.

You could try looking at the War Diary of the unit to which he belonged, if you know what that was - "Driver" suggests either the artillery or the Army Service Corps, but in the latter case his number would have a special prefix, which "L/" was not.

Ron

7 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Hello Rob

"Mentions in despatches" are simply lists of men (name, rank, regiment, number) who had rendered service worthy of being brought to the attention of the War Office. The Despatches do not contain any more information than that.

You could try looking at the War Diary of the unit to which he belonged, if you know what that was - "Driver" suggests either the artillery or the Army Service Corps, but in the latter case his number would have a special prefix, which "L/" was not.

Ron

Thank you Ron i will give that a try.

2 hours ago, Robuk88 said:

Gazette Issue 30077. Mentioned in Despatches. Sir Douglas Haig's Despatch of 9th April, submitting names deserving a special mention, published in the London Gazette of Tuesday, 15th May, 1917.

Gazette Date:
18/05/1917
Gazette Page:

Here it is: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30077/supplement/4874 

From the first page of this LG Supplement: The following is a continuation of Sir Douglas Haig's Despatch of 9th April, submitting names deserving of special mention, published in the London Gazette of Tuesday, 15th May, 1917: — ROYAL ARTILLERY ... Wilkinson, No. L/10718 Driver H.

That earlier LG appears to be https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30072  

War Office, 15th May, 1917. The following despatch has been received by the Secretary of State for War from FieldMarshal Sir Douglas Haig, G.C.B., Commander-in-Chief of the British Armies in France. General Headquarters, 9th April, 1917. Sir, — I have the honour to submit a list of names of those officers, ladies, non-commissioned officers, and men, serving, or who have served, under my command, whose distinguished and gallant services and devotion to duty I consider deserving of special mention. I have the honour to be, Sir, Your obedient Servant, D. HAIG, Field-Marshal, Commander-in-Chief, The British Armies in France.

M

L/10718 was a County Palatine RFA number. There is a Service Record for him in WO 363 under Henry Wilkinson 10718. He was from Seaforth in Liverpool. The CPRA were raised locally in the North West. 

Brian

His existing service papers indicate he served abroad with the 148th Brigade RFA, Except from May 1916 to April 1917 when he was with 30th Divisional Ammunition Column. So the latter is the diary to look for and is at

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353613

148 was a County Palatine brigade.

Edited by Mark1959

Thank you for the info gents. I will have a look at the war diary and try see if he got a mention.

I appreciate the replies and help thank you very much.