Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What was "RP Arques"?

Buffnut453

I've seen a number of reports of RAF personnel being posted to "RP Arques" in 1919 as demobilization kicked in.  Efforts to-date have failed to uncover what the acronym "RP" stood for, or what the purpose of "RP Arques" might be.  I'm guessing it was a personnel centre for organizing movements from the Continent back to the UK and, for most, demobilization.  However, any additional insights would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance.  

Thanks David.  "Reporting Point" does make sense.  Appreciate the help.

Looking at a map, Arques was close to St.Omer which makes some sense as that had long been a hub of RFC/RAF activity.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I know that my Uncle was at Arques in 1919.  He was a Farrier (Blacksmith) and he was dismantling aircraft for scrap.

Roy Hogben

RP usually = reconnaissance patrol, so it depends on context (i.e in this case a log book entry etc).

Edited by quemerford

Reconnaissance Patrol RP makes sense since there were a lot of WWI British Aircraft there to be dismantled after the war ended.  Many aircraft in the WWI were used for reconnaissance although we hear more about the Red Barron and 'dog' fights.  I suppose that use was more exciting than Recon.

My wife's Dad (an American) also dismantled WWI planes as a trained blacksmith.  But I do not know which location in France he was;' I know it was France and it was also 1919.

3 hours ago, quemerford said:

RP usually = reconnaissance patrol, so it depends on context (i.e in this case a log book entry etc).

It's from the 11 Sqn "Daily States" file AIR 1/2010/204/305/1 entry for 25 July 1919 which includes a list of personnel under the heading "Posted to R.P. ARques" 25/7/19."  The capitalization of both A and R in "ARques" reflects how the word appears in the original document, although I suspect it was simply the typist failing to release the shift key.  The list indicates that all but one of the Sergeant Pilots serving with the Sqn were posted to RP Arques on that date, so perhaps "Reporting Point" is the right interpretation?

Edited by Buffnut453