Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Garrison Artillery 363 Siege Battery pre Jan 1918

Tanglin

Looking for some help to find the location  and actions of this battery from Jun 1917 to Jan 1918.

Any help or guidance gratefully received.

Extract from WO95-5494 Allocation Units

image.png.92bfb4bffbd7fdaca176369fc9d933d3.png

Wow Ian that is great. Was that at Kew? I have looked there and on Ancestry and only found later dates.

Railway ?. On left I do not understand. Does it mean the guns were mounted on rails?

what is the best way forward to find where these heavy artillery groups were? Would like to visit in the future.

thank you so much.

The allocation of units is from the National Archives - WO95-5494 Allocation Units

The 363rd Seige Battery were equipped with  BL 9.2-inch railway gun [ Wikipedia] - so yes it does mean the guns were mounted on rails

Some information on Railway Artillery from my Blog

Railway Artillery - Northumbrian Gunner meanderings - The Great War (1914-1918) Forum (greatwarforum.org)

2 hours ago, Tanglin said:

what is the best way forward to find where these heavy artillery groups were? Would like to visit in the future.

The location of the Corps Heavy Artillery and Heavy Artillery Groups can be determined from their war diaries.

British Army war diaries 1914-1922 - The National Archives

The Corps Corps Heavy Artillery I think can be found under 2 Corps Headquarters Branches and Services: Commander Heavy Artillery

Heavy Artillery Groups the search criteria I use is xx Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery