Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Start of German Spring Offensive [35 Squadron]

petet

On 21st March 1918, Germany started its Spring Offensive and the aerodrome at Estrees-en-Chaussée (where 35 Squadron was stationed) was attacked. Courtney Arthur Uren (AM 2nd Class) was K.I.A. and Robert Peacock (AM 1st Class) D.O.W. on that day; it is assumed they died as a result of the attack.

They are both remembered on the Arras Flying Services Memorial, suggesting their remains were not located (or that they could not be formally identified).

I was just wondering why, in these circumstances, remains could not be located or formally identified (particularly R Peacock who DOW) .... any thoughts?
Edited by petet

49 minutes ago, petet said:

Robert Peacock (AM 1st Class) D.O.W. on that day; it is assumed they died as a result of the attack.

The type of attack is not mentioned in your OP.

Pension Index card at WFA/Fold3 have PEACOCK, R ,10700, "Killed by shell explosion"

RAF Museum StoryVault have a few records as Wounded [RGA & RFC] and also On their Roll of Honour

21 March 1918 was quite a busy day for British forces so perhaps under the circumstances:

• No body to bury [though would seem somewhat at odds with Wounded]
  • Unable to bury his body in the prevailing situation [though I don't know what was happening at 35 Squadron]
  • Record-keeping of burial might not have been of the highest order or subsequently lost.
  • Grave & any grave marker and/or his identity lost in subsequent events [especially if ground later fought over/shelled and destroyed]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
expand

Thanks for the feedback to date. I also note that Trevor's "The Sky their Battlefield" lists an A Capper as being wounded on that day with 35 Squadron (although I am struggling to find any more details on this airman).

Hi,

I researched this back in 2014 and from what I can remember both Uren & Peacock were wireless operators who were attached to 19 Siege Battery RGA from about December 1917 until they were killed. This means that although on the books of 35 Squadron they were not actually with 35 Squadron at the time of their deaths but were in the field with 19 SB.

Steve

Edited by hmsk212

Based on feedback (for which I thank you), and information in previous threads, I have now summarised events as follows:

On 21st March 1918, Germany started its Spring Offensive and the following airmen, who were on strength of 35 Squadron (attached to 19 Siege Battery), were killed on that day:

• Courtney Arthur Uren (Air Mechanic 2nd Class, Wireless Operator), was killed in action
  • Robert Peacock (Air Mechanic 1st Class, Wireless Operator), died of wounds sustained in a shell explosion

It is possible that they were with 35 Squadron at Estrées-en-Chaussée at the time of their deaths or, more likely, in the field with 19 Siege Battery near Hervilly Wood

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission’s records show the following commemoration details (which suggest that neither Uren or Peacock have a known grave):

• 43563 UREN, COURTNEY ARTHUR, Air Mechanic 2nd Class, ARRAS FLYING SERVICES MEMORIAL
  • 10700 PEACOCK, ROBERT, Air Mechanic 1st Class, ARRAS FLYING SERVICES MEMORIAL

Note: “The Sky their Battlefield” suggests that another 35 Squadron airman (A Capper (Air Mechanic 2nd Class)) was also wounded on that day and that Uren and Peacock were attached to 211 Siege Battery at the time.

Edited by petet

18 minutes ago, petet said:

A Capper (Air Mechanic 2nd Class)

Might perhaps have been Albert CAPPER, 96838 - perhaps ???

On RAF Museum StoryVault Muster Roll http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/capper-a and has a very plain Pension Index Card at WFA/Fold3

M

Edited by Matlock1418

From the National Archives  :-    46341106_RAF10thOct2014098.JPG.54a77a82a4451fbdb728fc2d15c7c54a.JPG1303400965_RAF10thOct2014100.JPG.5f22b6162ca1a5394de8c5add4c87b37.JPG1001244805_RAF10thOct2014101.JPG.9ce7ce2ae72eee74b8b8f2d95f15ef0b.JPG731592692_RAF10thOct2014099.JPG.c7065b39264c3ba38ed0d87ff27dd285.JPG

Sorry that the pages haven't photographed very well but they are printed on a very thin tissue like paper.

Steve

Edited by hmsk212

Thanks for posting; sadly, this is one of the very few 35 Squadron files that I haven't obtained from TNA 

Regards

PeteT

Edited by petet

Hi,

Unfortunately that is all that I gleaned from the file as I was specifically looking for references to CA Uren as, at that time, I had his Victory Medal in my collection. Sadly needs must and I have since parted with said Victory Medal.

Steve

That's a shame, as I am currently trying to sort out the various 35 Squadron losses / injuries on 23rd, 24th and 25th March 

Regards

PeteT

• petet changed the title to Start of German Spring Offensive [35 Squadron]

Trying to get some clarity regarding the following airmen who were recorded as wounded on 24th March: LE Jones and H Hanson

The squadron record book shows LE Jones as the Observer of C8439, although Hanson is shown as the observer in Trevor's The Sky Their Battlefield

Are there any official records which may help resolve this conundrum?

11 minutes ago, petet said:

Hanson is shown as the observer

H HANSON = Is also recorded as Observer on RAF Museum StoryVault casualty card http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/hanson-h 

M

20 minutes ago, petet said:

LE Jones as the Observer

L.E. JONES = Is also recorded as Observer on RAF Museum StoryVault casualty card http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/7000275957-jones-l.e 

So that clears that up - Not! = Sorry!!

Mind you StoryVault is always a good place to check. http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/pages/raf_vault.php? But not always the easiest site to use

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add link to SV