Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The awards of Henry W Cole L8344 East Kent Regt & Leonard Cole 930068 RFA

Leo

Hi all - Second post related to the two above. I am interested in getting the medals awarded to these two gentleman as they are my great great uncles I cannot find a medal/award document for either with Henry Ws' service record it does state entitlements to the 1914 star - not sure when Leonard joined up but would imagine, he would have certain awards too. I have my grandfathers and another great uncles medals framed on the wall of my office and would dearly love these awards to join them. 

I am considering writing to the descendants of their older brother (bit of sleuthing but think I've tracked them down) as they both died without offspring, to see if they have them, but as a first approach it seems a bit grubby. So am not sure what the best way to do that is, and replicas dont feel right to order as its the connection to the original recipients that makes it special. Any advice would be welcome. 

There is a medal card for Leonard Cole 930068. 1915 Star, BWM & Victory medals, territorial force RFA. Entered France 4/10/1915. Died of wounds 23/10/1918. Earlier number of 824 shown on the card.

Not seeing similar for Henry.

TEW

Edited by TEW
Spelling

Oh yes there is - under number L8334.

1914 Star, BWM & Victory, entry to France 7/9/1914. KIA 24/4/1915.

Someone applied for a clasp to go with the 1914 Star.

For Henry & Leonard both sets of medals were sent out and there's nothing to suggest they weren't received and kept by their next of kin.

I've not seen the rolls or the reverse of the cards for more details. 

Soldiers' Effects on Ancestry or Pension cards/Ledgers should be a pointer as to who the NOK were.

TEW

Hello, 

As an additional line of research have you joined the British Medal Forum where I understand it is possible to place an alert, should the medals be out of the family they may crop up there. I think you can do similar on eBay in case they come up for auction. 
In terms of contacting the family, perhaps a more general approach to start with, if you start with general family history to see if they have something you don’t and gradually introduce WW1 as an area where your knowledge is particularly sparse.

There is a thread on this forum relating to medal collections held by members though with the number of posts it would take a while to read through.

I have been involved in 3 occasions where medals have been reunited with the recipients family, my grandads pair being in my possession now .

Its a great feeling, good luck with your search

There are a few pension cards/Ledgers for these two. There is one card which names both men. First NOK was Edmund Cole who is marked as deceased. Second NOK is Sarah Elizabeth Cole of 31 Butterfield St.

The pension files were moved to the London Region in Aug 1921, family moved?

Medals more than likely sent to the above.

TEW

Edited by TEW
Spelling

The .gov website has a will for Leonard.

I think they're about £3 although it may not add much information. Unless he left everything (including medals) to someone else.

TEW

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/search-results

Edited by TEW

1 hour ago, TEW said:

NOK is Sarah Elizabeth Coke of 31 Butterfield St.

The pension files were moved to the London Region in Aug 1921, family moved?

NOK is Sarah Elizabeth COLE of 31 Butterfield St., Baring Road, Lee SE 12 - Reference 11/PP/31199

Region 11 was SE England, including London.

M

Thanks, predictive text and not checking.

Post edited

TEW

As @TEW MIC for HW COLE L/8334 - always helps if the title has the right number, perhaps an edit required.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Thank you everyone this forum is great, I have downloaded Leonards Will where he leaves everything to his Mother - it was £1.50the cost of downloading the will not his estate- I think i will look for her will see if any mention in there - I am assuming the eldest son got the medals but I don't know that. What i do know is my Great grandfather was the youngest son and he named his second son my great uncle Leonard, so i guess there was a connection wish i done this when i was younger and more of the family were still alive.  

Leo = Have you looked at the lads' entries on the Soldiers' Effects Register? [on Ancestry I think] - usually worth a view

M