Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mentioned In Dispatches

PFF

In regard to being "Mentioned in Dispatchs"-

1) Was this a silverleaf medal on top of medal ribbon?

2) What if the decoration soldier had won was a MID-was this worn by itself

above the left handed pocket?

3) When was the silverleaf medal introduced as a decoration? :unsure:

For our period it was a bronze oak leaf worn diagonally on the victory medal ribbon when the medal was worn, and horizontally on the ribbon alone. Difficult to envisage anybody getting it without the Victory medal.

I have my great uncle's: LSgt MGC medals, complete with oak leaf and certificate and separate thanks from his Major General, cap badge and the lot. Fortunately, no death penny.

As far as I know, never a silver version.

Experts will now queue to blow me out of the water.

Saw a BBC article on British medals today-that what made me curious on what a WW I

MID decoration would be-was the Regimental Number engraved on back of MID-or not possible because of size?

It was a horozontial leaf worn on the appropriate campaign medal. Nowadays when the award is given for an operation without a meal it is worn directly on the tunic.

The emblem for 1914-1919 was worn on the Victory Medal ribbon and ceased as from August 10th 1920 when a single bronze oak leaf was introduced.

The MID emblem 1920-1939, was worn on the appropriate campaign medal.

Those awarded for 1939-1945, were worn on the War Medal and after 1945 , on the appropriate campaign medal. All of these were in bronze.

The silver laurel wreath emblem was granted to civilians, with the exception of the Merchant Navy, denoting the award of a King's Commendation for brave conduct during WW2 and was worn on the ribbon of the Defence Medal.

Terry Reeves

Terry

The silver Oak leaf is still issued with the Queens Commendation I know of two issued to two KOYLI in Aden in 1965. I'm not sure wether it was before active service and the issue of the GSM '62 had been autherised. I know it was worn on that medal and ribbon

Arnie

Not wishing to be too much of a pedant. It was worn at an angle of 60 degrees, from the inside edge, leaves pointing upwards towards the left shoulder. The smaller, undress or khaki uniform version, is worn transveresly across the riband (sic), the leaves pointing to the left shoulder.

regards

You guess is as good as mine

post-3297-1111765115.jpg