Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Daniel ELLIOTT MM

Ray Sharpe

Looking to see if there is much other information on Daniel Elliott, I do have quite a bit of information due to him being awarded the Military Medal.

His details are Daniel ELLIOTT born Jan1891 (but could be Dec 1890) in Kelveden, Essex - Died 5 Oct 1917 in Belgium - Service number R/13122 kings Royal Rifles (13th Battalion).

There is quite a bit from the records, was just trying to see if there is anything out there that I don't have.

Daniel ELLIOTT  Memorial.jpg

Edited by Ray Sharpe

3 hours ago, Ray Sharpe said:

There is quite a bit from the records, was just trying to see if there is anything out there that I don't have.

If you don't tell us what you do have, I am not sure how we can answer your question?

Charlie

Sorry - I have Army WW1 Service Records

International Grave Index

UK Army Records Soldiers Effects

UK Army Soldiers awarded Military Medal

UK Army Soldiers who Died

UK Army Pension Ledger

Is there any information regarding the reason how he was awarded the Military Medal?

Hi, I would look to see if he is on local war memorial , check the Imperial War Museum Memorial register.

If the War diaries exist for this Battalion it may be included in the War diary, available free at the National archives .

From recollection do not think the citation for Military Medals exist but could be wrong!

Local newspapers also worth checking as a lot of awards were reported and it may give an explanation of why he was awarded the MM. Should also have been published in Gazettes, although not the citation .

MM in the LG 28 Sept 1917: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30312/supplement/10025

MM probably for Ypres - July-August 1917. He was from Kelvedon, Essex.

MM Index card at TNA: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6156575  MM schedule no. 102916.

Relevant Bn. war diary here: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14055032

War Diary summary to June 1916 here: http://www.themanchesters.org/13th Battalion Kings Royal Rifle Corps.htm

WIKIPEDIA: The 13th (Service) Battalion landed at Boulogne-sur-Mer as part of the 111th Brigade in the 37th Division in July 1915 for service on the Western Front and saw action at the Battle of Morval in September 1916, the advance to the Hindenburg Line and the Battle of Arras in April 1917 as well as the Battle of Passchendaele in Autumn 1917, the Battle of Cambrai in November 1917 and the Hundred Days Offensive in Autumn 1918 before taking part in the Battles of the Hindenburg Line and the Final Advance in Picardy.

Edited by Ivor Anderson

2 hours ago, Ray Sharpe said:

there any information regarding the reason how he was awarded t

You have obviously done some good homework.

Local paper says it was for rescuing a wounded officer.

"The British Newspaper Archive | findmypast.co.uk" https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000322%2f19170907%2f027&stringtohighlight=elliott military medal

I am not sure if this is of any help, but is it possible the action for which L/Cpl Eliott was awarded a Military Medal was for the raid on 27th July during which 2/Lt Carr was severely wounded in the shoulder, but brought in four hours later?  Could L/Cpl Elliot been involved in that recovery?  See 13th Battalion War Records page 182.  This does not tie in with the War Diary summary above that shows Captain Dodds as having been wounded.

Is it known which Company L/Cpl Elliot was serving in?   

54 minutes ago, worthington said:

Is it known which Company L/Cpl Elliot was serving in? 

His service record says he was promoted 29/7/17 a/Cpl in place of Boscott, wounded July 1917.

Boscott has a Hospital Admission showing he was A Company at the time he was wounded.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Sorry the only evidence I have was 13th BN, Kings Rifle corps, I don't know which company he was in within that!

I have him being awarded MM 19 Aug 1917 and being promoted to A/Cpl 29 Sep 1917

Edited by Ray Sharpe

The WD list of awards at the end of July was 8-10 'Green Cards' and his name was not among them. It is possible that his MM was for July and only confirmed in August.

Edited by Ivor Anderson

12 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

awards at the end of July was 8-10 'Green Cards' and his name was not among them. It is possible that his MM was for July and only confirmed in August

Service record tells us ribbon was awarded by Brigadier General 19/8/17.

35 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Service record tells us ribbon was awarded by Brigadier General 19/8/17.

So his MM could be for 27th July or 5th August 1917, but the July action seems more likely given his promotion on the 29th.

I see his service record is on Ancestry too: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1219&h=626092&tid=&pid=&queryId=5f653a0fadc135d2eff41a0e7d842b6f&usePUB=true&_phsrc=WWn1165&_phstart=successSource

image.png.ad99f527b0092236b2631745fbc0f6e7.png

image.png.860ea3584958fd4ec2c5a51a372eb957.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

4 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

According to LG, Elliott was a Lance Corporal when the action, for which he was awarded the MM, took place. (a/Cpl 29 July in place of Boscott):

Elliott.jpg.e55f6a97c7177cde9ed8acd19f620135.jpg

JP 

21 minutes ago, helpjpl said:

According to LG, Elliott was a Lance Corporal when the action, for which he was awarded the MM, took place. (a/Cpl 29 July in place of Boscott):

Good spot! So prior to promotion to Corporal on the 29th July? (EDIT) so 27th likely?

5th August when the Bde had 52 OR casualties looks possible? Or for the 6th August - officer casualty & 2 posts established by 13th KRRC (111th Bde WD):

image.png.d89e717f0f1be65570ba6434f66195fc.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

12 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Would the MM have his acting rank or substantive rank?

I suppose it would be his rank at the time of recommendation. Was 'acting' not just a way of avoiding paying him the proper rate? I suppose L/C was easier to impress than A. L/C? He was acting corporal from the 29th July, so the action must be before that - 27th?

Edited by Ivor Anderson

8 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Was 'acting' not just a way of avoiding paying him the proper rate

He was appointed 'with pay'! It is possible his appointment was part of his reward,/award?

Edited by charlie962

Could well be. The Bde. had 3 officer & 33 OR casualties on the 29th (only 4 ORs on the 27th). Relevant 13th KRRC WD pages (A Coy. raid on 27th):

27th.png

29th.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson