Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German East Africa - Military Railways 1916 -1919

Douglas29

Lieutenant John Rose Lawler, Temp Commission Royal Engineers, 14.11.1916, also Indian Volunteer Officer, Bengal and North Western Railway Battalion

Medals: BWM, VM, IVD

Lawler, a mechanical engineer by profession, awarded a temp commission in RE’s and sent out to GEA on the Military Railways, becoming in June 1918 District Loco Superintendent Central Military Railway.

I am seeking background on the Military Railway operations in GEA during this period and wished to understand the role & responsibilities of an officer such as Lawler. Any assistance greatly appreciated, and/or pointers as to books, research or indeed photographs.

Douglas

Dear Maureen,

Many thanks for the recommendation, having reviewed the book’s synopsis I have decided to jump in an acquire a copy. 
I also found out that there is a 34page file on Lawler at the National Archives & hopefully this might provide some additional insight as to his activities in GEA.

Regards

Douglas

On 19/03/2022 at 15:58, Douglas29 said:

Dear Maureen,

Many thanks for the recommendation, having reviewed the book’s synopsis I have decided to jump in an acquire a copy. 
I also found out that there is a 34page file on Lawler at the National Archives & hopefully this might provide some additional insight as to his activities in GEA.

Regards

Douglas

Douglas

I have the above publication, unfortunately the German East Africa piece is  only two short paragraphs. 

I do have a copy of the History of the Railway Corps, East African Expeditionary Force from TNA in  WO 32 / 5830 which is largely about the construction work. It is 21 pages in length and quite Interesting, although mainly about construction.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

20 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Douglas

I have the above publication, unfortunately the German East Africa piece is  only two short paragraphs. 

I do have a copy of the History of the Railway Corps, East African Expeditionary Force from TNA in  WO 32 / 5830 which is largely about the construction work. It is 21 pages in length and quite Interesting, although mainly about construction.

TR

Dear Terry,

Thank you for providing the update as to the publication. I will look at the National Archive reference you have kindly provided. 

Regards

Douglas