Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers uniform insignia for id please

davidbohl

This is Sgt James Lowe #22462 kia with 17/KLR attached 89/TMB

What is his chest ribbon please ? (MiD awarded 7/11/1917)

Also what is his mate wearing on his sleeve ?

many thanks

Dave

LoweJ_photo.jpg

Could be a BWM - British War medal. Does not have the vertical striping of an MM?

Corporal rank stripes on his sleeve

2 hours ago, davidbohl said:

This is Sgt James Lowe #22462 kia with 17/KLR attached 89/TMB

What is his chest ribbon please ? (MiD awarded 7/11/1917)

Also what is his mate wearing on his sleeve ?

many thanks

Dave

LoweJ_photo.jpg

The man next to him appears to be Army Ordnance Corps going by his shoulder title.  The arm badge is intriguing and appears to be a formation patch of some kind.  It’s not entirely clear if it’s metal, or cloth, either.  Are you able to procure and post a better copy of the image, ideally showing both men? 

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

a better copy

this is the best I've got

LoweJ_photo2.jpg

4 hours ago, davidbohl said:

this is the best I've got

LoweJ_photo2.jpg

Thank you David.  It looks to me from the medal ribbons that it’s a photo taken 1918-19, probably in the Rhine Area occupation zone.  The soldier on the left has I think the new RAOC title after that corps was granted its Royal prefix.  The badge on his upper arm is unfamiliar to me but it’s position on the left upper arm suggests a formation badge of some kind.  Perhaps SME @poona guardmight recognise it?

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

it’s a photo taken 1918-19

Thanks Frogsmile, a family tree has the portrait photo of the man on the right attached to Sgt Lowe, he was kia 30/4/1918 in Dickebusch, so does it look like a mistaken identity ?

Service records for him:-

25th Aug 1916 - appointed L/Sgt

11th Jul 1917 - promoted Sgt

Edited by davidbohl

9 hours ago, davidbohl said:

Thanks Frogsmile, a family tree has the portrait photo of the man on the right attached to Sgt Lowe, he was kia 30/4/1918 in Dickebusch, so does it look like a mistaken identity ?

Service records for him:-

25th Aug 1916 - appointed L/Sgt

11th Jul 1917 - promoted Sgt

I’m not sure David, it depends on the positive identification of the shoulder title and medal ribbons of the man on the left.  They look to me like they include a 14, or 14-15 Star, but the picture has insufficient resolution/clarity to be sure.  If it’s just a row of other medals from extensive prewar service then your KIA information could be correct.  Without a better photo we’re at an impasse.

Edited by FROGSMILE

17 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Without a better photo we’re at an impasse.

I agree Frogsmile,

The original photo gives a few more shades on the ribbons

Screenshot 2022-03-15 09.34.27.png

17 minutes ago, davidbohl said:

I agree Frogsmile,

The original photo gives a few more shades on the ribbons

Screenshot 2022-03-15 09.34.27.png

Unfortunately the oblique view does not do us any favours, as it distorts the appearance of the vertical striping.  To get any clarity for a row rather than a single ribbon the angle of view really needs to be square on.  There are some forum members who pride themselves on ribbon identification, let’s see what they say.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I think that the medal far right in the row might be the same as the single ribbon on the right hand man.  The upper arm badge looks as if it might be a brass letter set upon a cloth shield.  All-in-all a frustrating image given the lack of clarity.

The soldier on the left - his 3 ribbons appear to me to be the 1914 or 1914-15 star, BWM & VM.

6 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

The soldier on the left - his 3 ribbons appear to me to be the 1914 or 1914-15 star, BWM & VM.

Thank you Bryan that’s very helpful and if someone else can corroborate my identification of the shoulder title as RAOC, then it seems that a 1918-19 timeframe can be confirmed.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I agree with you that the photo is very poor & difficult to interpret with any degree of accuracy but appears best we are going to get.

Since Sgt Lowe died 30th April 1918 he couldn't be standing next to a guy with the B & V medals ?

3 hours ago, davidbohl said:

Since Sgt Lowe died 30th April 1918 he couldn't be standing next to a guy with the B & V medals ?

Yes understood, so as you mentioned earlier, it must presumably be a different man.  Either that or the other medals are some other combination.  Also the shoulder title became RAOC at the very end of 1918.

Edited by FROGSMILE