The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Quarries Sector, Vermelles.

chasray

Hello, 

I am researching where my grandfather was wounded in WW1. The Battalion records say Quarries Sector Vermelles. He was with the 2nd Lincolns and i am trying to find a map of the exact spot were the quarries sector was located. Can anyone help me with information were the Quarries sector was?

Regards,

John

good evening,

here is the position :

vermelles.jpg.5d4ed9a9c45f6007d5d020dcd1af6557.jpg

624244184_vermellesquarry.jpg.03ca9a590f110a118beb6509fbc9db9a.jpg

the Quarry is near the Hohenzollern Redoubt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohenzollern_Redoubt

now, in the quarry it's one british cemetery :

https://www.cwgc.org/visit-us/find-cemeteries-memorials/cemetery-details/4003820/quarry-cemetery-vermelles/

regards

michel

1 hour ago, battle of loos said:

good evening,

here is the position :

vermelles.jpg.5d4ed9a9c45f6007d5d020dcd1af6557.jpg

624244184_vermellesquarry.jpg.03ca9a590f110a118beb6509fbc9db9a.jpg

the Quarry is near the Hohenzollern Redoubt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohenzollern_Redoubt

now, in the quarry it's one british cemetery :

https://www.cwgc.org/visit-us/find-cemeteries-memorials/cemetery-details/4003820/quarry-cemetery-vermelles/

regards

michel

Thankyou Michel for the maps etc.

It is really appreciated...

Regards,

John

John, can you give us a date for his wounding as the terrain / trenches changed a bit.  It would help find "Quarries Sector" which might refer to an area.  If you want the actual quarry, it is as Michel contributed.  This 1917 map is courtesy IWM / WFA.  Click to enlarge.

image.png.a7d50ee730f81e0fffdc2023cd27e7c8.png

Thankyou for the help WhiteStarLine...

The date was the 28th of August 1916... and he was in the 2nd Lincolns...

Regards,

John

This 1915 map number 36c is on sale in the bookshop at The National Archives. The Quarries are in G 12 a. My great Uncle had his first taste of action in the Quarries on 25/09/1915. He was serving with 2 Bn Yorkshire Regt. 

Try the WDs of 25 Infantry Brigade and 8 Div HQ GS for your time period.

Brian

001.JPG

Hello Brian,

The Brigade Diary says Vermelles and the 2nd Lincolns Battalion Diary says Quarries Sector...

Thankyou for your help... It is much appreciated.

Regards,

John

John, would have been great to have posted the date of interest as that would have reduced some of the speculation.  Looking at a July 1916 map (which is the same area as the 1915 one cited by Brian)  I now believe we are referring to The Quarries, rather than the quarry in previous posts.

2 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

This 1915 map number 36c is on sale in the bookshop at The National Archives. The Quarries are in G 12 a. My great Uncle had his first taste of action in the Quarries on 25/09/1915. He was serving with 2 Bn Yorkshire Regt. 

Try the WDs of 25 Infantry Brigade and 8 Div HQ GS for your time period.

Brian

good morningn,

this position (G12) is not in Vermelles.

it's Haisnes.

michel

Michel

I think the Brigade HQ was in Vermelles but the Quarries were in G 12. Please see this 8 Div Intelligence Summary dated 29/08/1916 from the WD of 8 Div HQ GS. Courtesy TNA WO 95 1675 - Ancestry p 197/727.

John

The WD of 8 Div HQ GS has these summaries from when they took over the Quarries Sector on 08/08/1916. I picked this one which covers 28/08.

Brian 

8 Div.jpg

3 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Michel

I think the Brigade HQ was in Vermelles but the Quarries were in G 12. Please see this 8 Div Intelligence Summary dated 29/08/1916 from the WD of 8 Div HQ GS. Courtesy TNA WO 95 1675 - Ancestry p 197/727.

John

The WD of 8 Div HQ GS has these summaries from when they took over the Quarries Sector on 08/08/1916. I picked this one which covers 28/08.

Brian 

8 Div.jpg

Thankyou Brian...

The Quarries section report above is almost word for word the same as the 2nd Lincolns report in their War Diary.

I think the Brigade HQ was in Vermelles and the action took place in the Quarries sector near Cite st. Elie...

Thanks again Brian... Its much appreciated...

Regards,

John