Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Battalion Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment - Italy

Cavalryman24

Does anyone have any information on the activities of the 10th Battalion Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment between November 1917 and February 1918 whilst they were in Italy. Their War Diary for that period appears to be missing and so far my research has failed to produce anything.

13 minutes ago, Cavalryman24 said:

Does anyone have any information on the activities of the 10th Battalion Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment between November 1917 and February 1918 whilst they were in Italy. Their War Diary for that period appears to be missing and so far my research has failed to produce anything.

War diary exists at NatArchives but none of the Italy theatre are digitised so you must visit.

"41 Division: 122 Infantry Brigade: Headquarters (1917 Nov - 1918 Feb). 122 Infantry... | The National Archives" https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4557396

There is the official history, Edmonds, Military Operations Italy.

I'm not aware of an online copy?

Edited by charlie962

There is also the regimental magazine Queens Own Gazette, and you may find retrospective articles post war. They've been scanned by regimental museum.

"The Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment - The Queen's Own Buffs, The Royal Kent Regiment (PWRR)" http://thequeensownbuffs.com/royal-west-kent-regiment/# 

Go to index and you will find the gazettes listed there.

Edited by charlie962

8 minutes ago, BFBSM said:

Try the Regimental History by C. T. Atkinson. A reprint is available from Naval & Military Press. https://www.naval-military-press.com/product/queens-own-royal-west-kent-regiment-1914-1919/

That contains 6 pages on Italy, covering 1st, 10th and 11th Bns. Apart from a lot of marching there was very little action whilst the 10th were there. 

In fact apart from a patrol action on 19/2/18 which earned two MMs I suspect it all represented a nice change of scene from the Western Front?

Edited by charlie962

To give you a flavour of what was going on, the war diary of the 11th Queens Royal West Surreys, who were in the same brigade, has been digitised and can be viewed here. It is fairly brief.. It might mention 10th RWKs when reliefs were being carried out.

Thanks again PRC very helpful. I am following the 21st Lancers of No 1 Service Sqn who were transferred to the 10th Bn.