Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edmund John Patrick Forsyth

Clarkie

Edmund married my maternal grandmother in 1958. While I was in ancestry, I found this pension card. There is an address on the card, 9 Woodside Crescent in Perth which matches where they lived. I noticed he was in the Royal Marine Light Infantry, couldn’t really find anything else. Can I ask how I would find out more about his service and why he received a pension. He lived until 1992.

Thank You

Alan

4B6EC138-92C0-4A58-A846-C5A60836E423.png

There is another card under #17187…seems like the same man. It says flat feet after 5 years service!

George

Silver war badge as well within Ancestry.

Sorry on iPad and not to grips with copying urls yet!

George

Thank You. Yes i saw he had signed on 1914, missed the flat feet though. Would he have qualified for a pension for that. Seems odd that he wasn't discharged until 1919. Having said that, you have the right guy. How would i find out where he served. I did get a record of his service but it wasn't readable. Thank You again

Alan

27F5408D-557A-47C8-AC7A-B4F1AE43182D.png

Where is the record from please? Can you post a URL if it is online?

George

He spent most of the war in two ships: HMS KING GEORGE V and HMS AMPHITRITE. Between sea drafts he was at HQ RMLI Portsmouth Division at Forton Barracks, Gosport. Not a good conduct record: he spent several periods in cells or detention (crimes not recorded in this record).

There is another set of papers for him at Kew - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14595293

Edited by horatio2

Alan,

Why would it be odd for him to have been discharged in 1919? (Most servicemen were demobbed during that year).

Also, his service record indicates that he spent most of the time serving on the battleship KING GEORGE V, which participated at Battle of Jutland, but was also at anchor in Scapa Flow for quite a lot of the time.

MB

He has another card under 17189

George

Can't find any trace of it in Ancestry/FMP though

George

Hi Clarkie,

Apologies if this is your tree, but a bit more family history. The family were living at 98 "Flag" Meadow on the 1911 census. Transcribed as "Edmma John Forsyth" on Ancestry.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/pt/PersonMatch.aspx?tid=80335791&pid=232282060393&src=m

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

And 17189 is the same man but with a transcription error

George

7 hours ago, KizmeRD said:

Alan,

Why would it be odd for him to have been discharged in 1919? (Most servicemen were demobbed during that year).

Also, his service record indicates that he spent most of the time serving on the battleship KING GEORGE V, which participated at Battle of Jutland, but was also at anchor in Scapa Flow for quite a lot of the time.

MB

Was the invalided out thing .. if he had flat feet why not let him out earlier

33 minutes ago, Clarkie said:

if he had flat feet why not let him out earlier

Depends at what stage his flat foot/feet became a problem and that would, presumably, depend on the underlying cause. GWF MO help needed here.

He was on a 12-year engagement which could have run to 1926.

Edited by horatio2

Ah now, I didn’t realize he signed on for 12 years, I suppose the flat feet thing could have been progressive over time. To everybody who is contributing, Edmunds story, the ships he served in and where he served is fascinating. This is a guy who later in life ran a newsagents in Perth and married my granny when he was 63 or 64. He certainly lived a full life. Be interesting to find out why he also did detention .. I guess those records aren’t so readily available. Thank you so much for adding such a rich history.

Edmund John Patrick FORSYTH (RMLI 17187), born 9/2/1896 in St. Mary, Worcester. Tin Worker when enlisted in Birmingham.

Recruit Depot, Deal     25/2/14 - 23/9/14

Portsmouth Division    24/9/14 - 23/12/14

HMS King George V    24/12/14 - 3/5/18

Portsmouth Division    4/5/18 - 29/5/18

HMS Amphitrite          30/5/18 - 3/3/19

Portsmouth Division    4/3/19 - 14/8/19 Discharged Invalided

Address on discharge 98 Flagge Meadows,Worcester

I always find it confusing when later records of a long-serving man are added to the bottom of another man's page. In this case it was Robert John Leddie (mistake for Robert John Leddlie, RMLI 17185, who is on two other pages). This R.J. Leddlie I believe was born in1899 and died in 1975. In 1924 he married Kathleen L.H. Coombes in Alverstoke, Hampshire.

I have not looked up his SWB badge record or his Army record, but Edmund Forsyth I believe married Elizabeth Beardsall in Manchester N. in 1926 and/or Dorothy Lees in Manchester in 1948. He probably died in Stockport in 1938.

aim

26 minutes ago, Clarkie said:

Be interesting to find out why he also did detention

The papaers held at Kew under ADM 157 may (if they have not been badly weeded) include his Company Conduct Sheets, which list all his misdemeanours.

3 hours ago, aim said:

I believe married Elizabeth Beardsall in Manchester N. in 1926 and/or Dorothy Lees in Manchester in 1948. He probably died in Stockport in 1938

Polite question, but if he married Dorothy in 1948, where did he come from to marry her after dying in Stockport in 1938?

sJ

4 hours ago, Clarkie said:

This is a guy who later in life ran a newsagents in Perth and married my granny when he was 63 or 64. He certainly lived a full life.

So, this man who (according to @aim) "probably died in Stockport in 1938" was marrying again in about 1960 according to his grandson @Clarkie

Edited by horatio2

48 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Polite question, but if he married Dorothy in 1948, where did he come from to marry her after dying in Stockport in 1938?

sJ

Sorry, I totally missed that.

I have reread the OP and seen that Edmund married in 1958 and died in 1992. I totally forgot to check the Scottish records (apologies to all, I haven't been well recently), but I can now say that Edmund married Mary Ronaldson Coventry (in Arngask, Perth, in 1920) and/or Mary Ann Armstrong (in Perth in 1958).

Hope this helps (and sorry again for confusing people).

aim

2 hours ago, aim said:

Hope this helps

Yes thank you!