The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Thomas Craiger or Caiger where lived

chaz

Having a bit of difficulty here, SWMBO has started collecting SWB's.

she has  one to an Edward Thomas Craiger but records exist as Caiger, his number was 599 with the Mounted Military Police, then 595590 Labour Corps, there are two MIC's both with the same numbers but surname spelt different. On one of the pension documents he is also noted as 196.599-1961 and 15th Hussars. Cant find any other mention of Hussars.

firstly trying to work out why 196. and then the 1961 if the 599 is his MMP number?

secondly from his card, trying to work out his address, 2 Scotts Terrace, Cotham, Surrey.  

can anyone suggest if Scotts or different and Colham, Cotham, or Cobham?

image from Fold3, trying to fill his history in regarding birth, census etc

Caiger, Edward Thos (595590, 196599-1961) (1).jpg

Cobham, Surrey

The MiC for his service medals and the pension cards has him as Caiger - only the SWB docs appear to have Craiger so I suspect that is an error.

May be a co-incidence, but on the 1911 Census of England & Wales there is a 46 year old married man, Edward Caiger, a General Labourer born Gosport, Hampshire, who was recorded as the head of the household at 5, Elm Grove Road, Cobham, Surrey. He stated he had been married 23 years. The most likely match in the civil birth records is that of an Edward Thomas Caiger whose birth was registered with the civil authorities in the Alverstoke District of Hampshire in the October to December quarter of 1864.

There is an Armed Forces Baptism for an Edward T. Caiger which took place in Pembroke, Wales in 1865. His father was serving in the Royal Artillery.

On the 1871 Census of England & Wales there is a 6 year old Edward T. Caiger, born Gosport, recorded living at 114 Sandy Gate, Burnley, Lancashire. He is in one of three households at that address, each one headed up by a member of the "14 Regt. Artillery". Edwards' father is a Robert Caiger, aged 36, born London, Middlesex, while his two youngest brothers, Albert W., (4) and Robert J., (1), are both shown as born Pembroke.

There are surviving discharge documents from 1877 in the WO97 series for Gunner 2673 Robert Caiger, "E" Battery, 14th Brigade, Royal Artillery. He had done his 21 years over two terms of engagement, all bar 2 years 5 months spent in the UK. His only overseas posting was Malta.

The family turn up on the 1881 Census of England & Wales with the surname recorded as "Cager". As well as father Robert, a Coachman, amongst the children is a 16 year old "Edmund Cager", a General Labourer, born Gosport. They were recorded at Tin Row, Downside Common, Cobholm.

From the details on the 1911 Census, Edward would have married circa 1887/88 but there is no obvious match in the civil records for England & Wales. Neither he or his wife appear to be on the 1891 Census of England & Wales. His wife Fanny is recorded on the 1901 Census, working as a Charwoman, but her husband was absent. I'm not seeing anything obvious for Edward on the Medal Rolls for the Anglo-Boer War, but I have only limited access. Fanny, along with four of her children was living at Tilt Road, Cobham.

Given his age he would have been a bit old to have seen field service in 1914, but as there are gaps in the census record it can't be ruled out that like his father he may have spent a significant chunk of his adult life in the Army.

Hope that's not too much of a red herring.

1 hour ago, chaz said:

On one of the pension documents he is also noted as 196.599-1961

Almost certainly an admin reference rather than a service number - @ss002d6252 or @Matlock1418 may be able to advise.

Cheers,
Peter

• Admin
9 hours ago, PRC said:
11 hours ago, chaz said:

Almost certainly an admin reference rather than a service number - @ss002d6252 or @Matlock1418 may be able to advise.

It's not a standard pension reference number.

It's in the spot where you'd expect service numbers. I wonder if it's just a botched attempt to reference service numbers.

Craig

13 hours ago, chaz said:

Having a bit of difficulty here, SWMBO has started collecting SWB's.

she has  one to an Edward Thomas Craiger but records exist as Caiger,

Have you seen his entry for his SWB? (image courtesy of Ancestry)

Caiger.jpg

Allan, have got the roll but can't decide what the last number  114970 refers to.

Craig, still confused a bout the hussars reference. 

Manc, Cobham, though so but does not look like a b ? Is there a Scott's terrace in Cobham?

Peter, had looked at the 46 year old, half ruled out due to age. If I remember from last night, it seemed like the father's name whereas the son was only Edward, if I recall. 

At work until 6 today so will have aook again tonight, thanks for the input.

15 hours ago, PRC said:

From the details on the 1911 Census, Edward would have married circa 1887/88 but there is no obvious match in the civil records for England & Wales.

Married in Birmingham, 11 December 1887 (image courtesy of Ancestry)

Caiger marriage cert.jpg

2 hours ago, chaz said:

Is there a Scott's terrace in Cobham?

Mr Google he say -

1300448599_ScottsTerraceCobham.png.e116515006a68e6e337a8a2c8ecf4fd0.png

2 hours ago, chaz said:

Peter, had looked at the 46 year old, half ruled out due to age. If I remember from last night, it seemed like the father's name whereas the son was only Edward, if I recall. 

The genealogical evidence, added to by the marriage register entry posted by @Allan1892, all points to a man whose birth name was registered Edward Thomas Craiger in 1864 and so was 46 by the time of the 1911 Census of England & Wales. If he had no prior military experience I too would tend to err on the side of caution, and the SWB Roll shows he enlisted November 1914, so coming up to 50 if it's the same man. However the Army was offering one year Short Service enlistments to time served ex-Regulars. If that is what Edward was then he would have probably been welcomed back with open arms.

May also be worth a near number search to see when the Military Mounted Police issued number 599.

Cheers,
Peter

Hi Peter

had to register with the RMP records site, not much info there but a couple of things..

A/Sgt Caiger Edward Thomas   Pre1919 number P00599

Enlisted 14/11/1914, reason for discharge was transfer to Labour Corps.

crucially, SWB440459  discharged sick aged 53

therefore it looks like the elder Edward  was the man.

thanks for the help, will now coalate some sort of order, 

the boss says thanks

On 04/03/2022 at 00:11, PRC said:

Sorry about my absence and the delay - Unfortunately I cannot explain.

M

I've updated his profile on the RMP Museum database. The only reference found so far to Caiger is the notice of his transfer in Part 1 Orders for 27th June 1918 (the initial A rather than E would appear to be a simple mistake - not uncommon in these books). We are transcribing the Corps Order Books, but are missing the books which cover his enlistment in November 1914 to the middle of 1916. 

I can also confirm that he died in 1940 at Cobham in Surrey.

As to his previous service, based on experience it is almost certain that he had already served (almost certainly in a cavalry Regiment). At the time of enlistment, many Reservists were being recalled to the Colours into their former units. Many of the older men were then transferred into the Corps of Military Police.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Caiger.jpg

Edited by Provost

Just done a bit of backward digging - looking at his children. As I know he born at Alverstoke, Gosport and died in Cobham in 1940, I checked the 1939 Register. Edward T Caiger (born 10th November 1864) is living at 12 Grove Cottages, Elm Gorve Rd, Cobham. His occupation is listed as retired builder's Labourer. Further down the street is Sidney T Caiger, a builder born on 27th June 1894.  I found Sidney's baptism in Surrey on 5th July 1896, where it lists both Edward and Fanny, with Edward's occupation listed as drayman. In the 1901 Census for Cobham, Fanny and Sidney are listed, but no Edward - possibly on military service? In the 1911 Census, Edward had re-appeared as a general labourer. Of his other children, Edward was born in Birmingham c1888, William was born c1893 also in Birmingham, and Florence Mabel was born in Cobham c1897 - when she married Edmund John Galipin at St Andrew's Church, Cobham on 1st December 1917, her father is listed as Edward Thomas Caiger, Soldier.

Although not a smoking gun, there would appear to be a likely gap after 1899 when he could have served.

Cheers

thanks Provost, further digging to do then.

a further check on 1921 census, FWR and FMP does not find anything for a variation on Caiger and a 15th Hussars 1881-1905 site gives 

1862 joined on 5th January 1882
1988 joined on 26th May 1883

so, if he was 1961 it may be a start point, but cant find a record for him unless onlyserved at home