Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Old military watch help

Avet22

image0.jpeg.282f24e788d06760436374bb10de1b9d.jpegCould anyone assist me with any background info on this watch ?  Its British for sure . My grand father was in both wars and was with the Blackwatch out of Dundee, Scotland .

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

I believe the watch is Canadian and WW1 - military use of pocket watches died out during WW1 as wrist watches became a much more practical form of time keeping for the military.  

18 minutes ago, awjdthumper said:

... military use of pocket watches died out during WW1 as wrist watches became a much more practical form of time keeping for the military.  

This is incorrect - pocket watches remained in British military use until at least well into WW2. I have my own grandfathers RAF issue pocket watch from sometime after he signed up in 1943 for example.

20 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

This is incorrect - pocket watches remained in British military use until at least well into WW2. I have my own grandfathers RAF issue pocket watch from sometime after he signed up in 1943 for example.

Issue watches would usually have the movement made by one maker and the case made by another. I have a WW2 pocket watch issued to an Air Raid Warden, the movement is Swiss and the case American.

Some watches had a screw-back case, so try turning it first, instead of levering it open.  As mentioned above, you'll probably find a Swiss movement in there, which might have a name and serial number, which would then lead you to contacting the manufacturer and getting help in dating it.  Possibly...