Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CW Jenkins Gunner RFA

Guest KLIFF SNOW

Guest KLIFF SNOW

Hello,

I came across this gentleman on the page opposite my Great Grandfather on the National Roll of the Great War. He is listed on the CWGC site as only 15. I tried to look for him on the 1901 census but no luck but in theroy he would wouldn't have been born.

"Volunteering shortly after the outbreak of the war he was sent to the Western Front in September 1915. There he took part in many engagements, including the battle of St Eloi, and on 7th June 1917 was killed in action during heavy fighting at Ypres. He was from Nursling, in Hampshire.

Does anyone think they can shed any light him, confirming his age. Would he have been amongst the younger Soldiers

regards,

Klifton Snow

Guest Steve Seaman

Klifton

The only CW JENKINS I found on the SDGW cdrom was CHARLES WILLIAM JENKINS RFA 78467 born Stubbington Hants and KIA 7th june -. SDGW is not infallible so this could be your chap

. SDGW is not infallible

....and neither (definately!!!) is the "National Roll" !

Dave

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Klifton,

The National Roll has been discussed a few times in the last couple of months. I have only ever found the records of two soldiers who also appear in the National Roll. Wounded in action in one case meant getting a bit of barbed wire in the butt :unsure:

You had to pay to have an entry in the National Roll so naturally a few of the entries were beefed up!

Ian

:ph34r: