Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My late grandfather, Harry Ashton (born Abraham Abrahamovitch) & the RFC

Terry67

The photo is of my late grandfather, Harry Ashton (born Abraham Abrahamovitch in 1895 in Russia). I believe the WW1 uniform he is wearing is that of the Royal Flying Corps, precursor to the RAF.

In the last few weeks, a kind person went to the National Archives in Kew for me (as I live in Australia) and I have more accurate information as to his military service from what was recorded in his NA file.

Harry enlisted on June 15th 1917 as Harry Sidney Silverman and was posted to the 109th Training Reserve Battalion, and not long after was transferred to the RAF and became a First Class Air Mechanic. He was not sent overseas to serve but worked at various aerodromes on planes. He was demobbed in 1919. I have attached the page from his NA file, listing his military information

How can I find out more about his military service in WW1?

Thank you for your help,

Terry

Harry Ashton in his military uniform.JPG

Harry Ashton 4.jpg

There was a 5125 Pte Harry S Ashton who served overseas with the 9th London Regiment. The capbadge in photo of your grandfather looks like the 9th London Regiment to me......

4 minutes ago, RedCoat said:

There was a 5125 Pte Harry S Ashton who served overseas with the 9th London Regiment. The capbadge in photo of your grandfather looks like the 9th London Regiment to me......

Cancel that - just a coincidence, 5125 Ashton was KIA 1916.

Hi

Despite the few discrepancies with the text that you have shown I believe that he joined the Royal Flying Corps as 88256 Solomon Silverman. Originally joining the Army on 15 June 1917 and transferring to the RFC on 23 July 1917. 

Steve

Thank you for all the comments. His regimental service number is a little difficult to read from the NA image I posted and you could be right. Someone else is going to re-photograph Harry's NA file for me in about a week, so I hope it will be clearer. As well, there is a separate page in his NA file about his military service which was not photographed for me. I have specifically asked for this page to be photographed.

• Admin

It’s not a RFC cap badge, so the photograph predates his service with them. It’s either Kings Royal Rifle Corps or one of the Territorial London Regiments. 

Hi

The movement record for 88256 Solomon Silverwood taken from his Air79 file  courtesy of the NA and Findmypast are :-

GBM_AIR79_799_00118.jpg.611f514cb93abf38eb2f78d3e073fc61.jpg

His next of kin is shown as his mother Betsy Silverwood of 301 Cambridge Road, Mile End Road, London.

Steve

There may be a file at TNA regarding his naturalisation as a British citizen: there are a few RFC/RAF airmen who were born in Russia and joined the RFC after obtaining citizenship and changing their names. You might have to broaden the search to include his many names however!

17 hours ago, Terry67 said:

The photo is of my late grandfather, Harry Ashton (born Abraham Abrahamovitch in 1895 in Russia). I believe the WW1 uniform he is wearing is that of the Royal Flying Corps, precursor to the RAF... Harry enlisted on June 15th 1917...

Harry Ashton in his military uniform.JPG

As Michelle mentioned above the uniform is of a soldier in a Rifles regiment, with black horn buttons and blackened cap badge based on the Maltese cross - not that of the RFC/RAF. He is also wearing the "Simplified" version of the SD jacket - these were only introduced in late 1914 as a stop-gap measure and manufacture ceased in early 1915 and had largely disappeared from use by 1917. He also has the early type stiff cap, another indicator of an earlier rather than later date. How certain are you the photo identification is correct as from the service details provided all points would seem to suggest it is someone other than Harry Ashton?

Thank you for all the interesting comments. For the record my grandfather was born  in Yakobstadt, Russia on July 4th 1895 and came to the UK about September of 1895. His birth name was Abraham Abrahamovitch which was not legally changed to Harry Ashton until the mid 1930.

He was naturalised  in 1926. I have also included another fact re his "military" name taken from his NA naturalisation files. His next of kin would have been his mother Betsy Abrahams.

By next week, I am hoping to have a copy of his military service which is apparently in his NA file

image.png.4bcefe9064926d23d87e9e541f8236f2.png

• 5 months later...

I have re-read the above comments in relation to my late grandfather, Harry Ashton, who enlisted in WW1 as Harry Sidney Silverman.

Andrew commented on the reliability of the person in the photo being my grandfather, I can definitely confirm that the photo is that of Harry Ashton.

Could hmsk212 let me know where the information "that (Harry) joined the Royal Flying Corps as 88256 Solomon Silverman. Originally joining the Army on 15 June 1917 and transferring to the RFC on 23 July 1917," was found please?

Thank you

• Admin

@hmsk212 said 

‘The movement record for 88256 Solomon Silverwood taken from his Air79 file  courtesy of the NA and Findmypast are :-‘ 

NA being National Archives. 

Presumably , he got the information from his Air79 file? 

Hi Michelle, he did. I really wish there was a way of seeing my grandfather's military file if it still exists. I realise many were destroyed before the war.

Hi

His only military record is the Air79 file, Air79/88256, a short extract of which I posted in March. The only way you can see it is either by joining Find my Past or by joining the Fold 3 section of Ancestry. Air79s are no longer available from the National Archives they just direct you to their  "partners",  Find my Past. You can probably join Find my Past as a guest for a short period.

Steve

Hi Steve

I have  a subscription to FMP and when I tried to find it on their website, I couldn't. Could you please tell me how to access the record on their site?

Kind regards

Terry

On 29/08/2022 at 02:34, Terry67 said:

Thanks Steve, I did but it is the wrong person. This person was C of E whilst my grandfather was Jewish. Thanks for your help.

Terry

This man has the right service number and there can't be many Russians that were CofE.

As has been said several times there’s no doubt that the soldier in the photograph is wearing the insignia of a rifle regiment, probably the King’s Royal Rifle Corps (KRRC) given both, the shape of the badge (a red backing can be discerned), and the association with a Training Reserve battalion linked to the KRRC.

All men serving with the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) automatically became members of the Royal Air Force (RAF) on 1st April 1918.

BDEC0B94-345E-4A20-A47F-CE758FEE623D.jpeg

32297994-5801-42C3-8033-33C6A72D470A.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE