Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'At Ypres With Best-Dunkley'

Mark Hone

I used extracts from this book, as quoted in Roy Westlake's anthology 'The Hazy Red Hell', on my last school battlefields tour. I have since discovered that Thomas Hope Floyd was an old boy of Bury Grammar School, increasing my interest in him. Does anyone have a copy of the complete work?

Mark,

Found a copy at my local Oxfam a few years ago and then answered a plea in "Stand To" from a WFA member who had a relative featured in it and moved it on to him. It does seem a rare little book. I haven't seen or heard of another copy since. Good Luck.

Thanks Ian-I notice on the WFA noticeboard that Roger Dowson and Neil Drum were trying to track down a copy in 2002 for a book that they were writing, possibly their 'Salford Pals'. I am in the early stages of contemplating a work on the 5th Battalion LF (Bury Territorials) , which put three battalions into the field in the Great War, and contained many Bury Grammar school boys in its ranks. Sadly a lot of the paperwork went up in smoke when the Home Guard accidentally burned down the Castle Armoury in Bury in 1942, but I suspect that quite a lot can be reconstructed from other sources.

Hi

There are number of 2nd hand copies of "The Lazy Red Hell" n Amazon.co.uk, at this time

Kind reagrds

John

Thanks-I have a copy of 'Hazy Red Hell' but I want to get hold of the complete T.H. Floyd book from which Ray Westlake prints extracts.