Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cafe Chantant

gmac101

I've been picking my way through local papers around Galashiels in the Scottish Borders trying to indentify the amount of money raised by charitible events in the town and the names of the women involved and I came across an event in November 1914 called a "Cafe Chantant" where a lady and gentleman presented "Gramaphone Selections" in addition to various other musical interludes.  Was "Cafe Chantant" and Gramaphone Selections common terms at the time and has anyone more detailed descriptions of these type of events - It raised £26 8s 3d by the way.

I believe Cafe Chantant gained some coverage in the UK during the suffragette movement to gain funds for the cause. Mostly lighthearted music and sometimes risqué but often other acts such as clairvoyants made it onto the bill.

5 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

I believe Cafe Chantant gained some coverage in the UK during the suffragette movement to gain funds for the cause. Mostly lighthearted music and sometimes risqué but often other acts such as clairvoyants made it onto the bill.

Thanks for the information - I'll check earlier years to see if any of the organisers were involved in the suffragette movement - they may have re-cycled their fund raising methods