Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone recognise the uniform / regiment that the men in the attached are from

PB BUSH

On 27/02/2022 at 10:27, PB BUSH said:

The only information I can find for a man with this name and his date of birth is that he is with the Royal field Artillery, is that possible 

You did have the right man in your second post. Quite often people pick a medal card that happens to have the right name but turns out not to be their ancestor.

Forum members have used their experience and skill to approximately work out the number Frank Tough had when the group photo was taken while he was in the ASC, that seems likely to be T4/160???

Working it out and explaining it does take require posting names and numbers of other men and giving transfer details.

When you add in possible numbers etc. for James Tough there's bound to be a a lot of numbers posted up.

On rare occasions there can be two men with the same name and number, if they're in the same regiment then things really start to get complicated!

The above does not apply for the Tough brothers.

TEW

29 minutes ago, TEW said:

You did have the right man in your second post. Quite often people pick a medal card that happens to have the right name but turns out not to be their ancestor.

Forum members have used their experience and skill to approximately work out the number Frank Tough had when the group photo was taken while he was in the ASC, that seems likely to be T4/160???

Working it out and explaining it does take require posting names and numbers of other men and giving transfer details.

When you add in possible numbers etc. for James Tough there's bound to be a a lot of numbers posted up.

On rare occasions there can be two men with the same name and number, if they're in the same regiment then things really start to get complicated!

The above does not apply for the Tough brothers.

TEW

I totally agree with you and your rationale TEW, but also understand how it was confusing the OP, who like many who post here seeking information is neither, steeped in the ‘near number’ techniques used by you genealogical buffs, nor the wide scale renumbering that took place at various points during and after the war.  A summary to end the thread would have helped, which Ken usefully attempted to do, but unfortunately continued posts since have started to once again cloud matters for PB Bush, and I do sympathise with him.  I fear that, in our collective enthusiasm to help, we sometimes inadvertently, and with the best intentions, fall into the situation of flogging something to death.  No offence intended.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you  Jay Dubaya for that summary of service numbers

To The inspector you questioned James Henry's birth date earlier. I am fortunate to have his birth certificate attached b 21st January 1886, a week before his baptism !

1544722385_JamesHenrybirthcert1886.jpg.812669ecc7e20fc322b3dd1f90eee459.jpg

I do think that this is the end of this particular Post on Frank and James Tough.

It has been fascinating and fun and sometimes frustrating.

Thank you all for your knowledge and opinions.

I dare say I will be back soon as my search continues with other members 

I’m pleased to have been of some assistance on your quest PB, I will come back to this thread should any further relevant information surface.

On 06/03/2022 at 13:06, PB BUSH said:

Thank you  Jay Dubaya for that summary of service numbers

To The inspector you questioned James Henry's birth date earlier. I am fortunate to have his birth certificate attached b 21st January 1886, a week before his baptism !

1544722385_JamesHenrybirthcert1886.jpg.812669ecc7e20fc322b3dd1f90eee459.jpg

PB Bush, 

If you look at the post again I am questioning Frank's d of b not his brother James Henry Tough.

Every piece of family info. is helpful when tracing the correct person. I agree with  your suggestion of a "red herring" for the docs. you have posted for a  James Tough., doesn't look right to me either.

Anyway at least you have some correct info. to go on, just goes to show you can't rely on some official docs. no matter who has obtained them.

Regards Barry