Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Basrah War Memorial

RichardSpalding

I have just join this group and although I do see an early offer on this, I can repeat: I am currently working in Iraq and have twice visited the CWGC Basrah War Memorial. I have photos of most of it to share if anybody need, and can probably make another visit for anything specific.

Attached is a picture of me dropping a poppy on my wife's grand uncle William Morrison of the HLI (30427, died 11 Jan 1917), but does anybody know if there is a corresponding cemetary he is buried in?

Best wishes

Richard

IMG_20211112_085637.jpg.64654fea589383a6f41431519893d3b2.jpgably to a trip again to take any specific pictures.

On National Archives this diary starts the month after Headquarters and Troops: Shaikh Saad: 1 Battalion Highland Light Infantry | The National Archives

Reference: WO 95/5022/7
Description: Headquarters and Troops: Shaikh Saad: 1 Battalion Highland Light Infantry
Note: The pages in this item are part of a larger record (piece). The record has been split into smaller parts during the digitisation process.
Date: 1917 Feb - 1917 Aug

Note the date range 9-11th Jan. CWGC will have plumped for the end date.

Edit. The Soldiers Effects register confirms that he was presumed dead , 'on or since 9-11/1//17'. So no known grave.

Edited by charlie962

I cannot find a surviving service record but I think he was called up (or more probably mobilized under the Derby Scheme) in May 1916. His 'Effects' entry showing a war gratuity of GBP3 means that he had completed less than one years service when he died.

The 1st Battalion had beeen in Mespot since Jan 1916 and thus he went out as a reinforcement, perhaps c Aug 1916.

The Highland Light Infantry Chronicle has a lot of digitised versions accessible and makes an interesting read. Worth looking at journals long after the event in case there is a retrospective article.

FIBIS site on wiki gives a number of links and I recomend the yumpu site as it has the 1916 onwards chronicles.

Note the censorship intruduced mid 1916 under ACI 1013 of 1916.

471525624_GWFHLIChronicleCensorship1916.JPG.73ee3ea5230e62333271f73c55a05701.JPG

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

• Admin

By definition, if he’s on a memorial to the missing, he has no known grave. 

On 26/02/2022 at 15:32, Michelle Young said:

By definition, if he’s on a memorial to the missing, he has no known grave. 

usually and likely to be the case here - but not 100%.  I have one on Thiepval who is buried in the UK.

So much information you have given me and the family. Many thanks and a great welcome to the forum.

Conincidentally my own Great Grandfather (Clive Wentworth Lyon) was a Major in 42 Deoli in Mesopotamia 1916-1922.

Edited by RichardSpalding

Thank you for your offer to take pics if requested!

Charlie 

Ps - do you have a photo of William Morrison? It is always great to see a photo of the man researched.

Edited by charlie962

58 minutes ago, RichardSpalding said:

So much information you have given me and the family. Many thanks and a great welcome to the forum.

Conincidentally my own Great Grandfather (Clive Wentworth Lyon) was a Major in 42 Deoli in Mesopotamia 1916-1922.

Have you researched your GGF? I see he served South Africa with 2nd Norfolk's before joining the Indian Army. 

There is an Indian Army Service file at the British Library that may contain something useful?

IOR/L/MIL/14/68962 

Charlie

On 05/03/2022 at 16:45, charlie962 said:

Have you researched your GGF? I see he served South Africa with 2nd Norfolk's before joining the Indian Army. 

There is an Indian Army Service file at the British Library that may contain something useful?

IOR/L/MIL/14/68962 

Charlie

Charlie

I do have quite some information on my GGF Clive Lyon as I was able to buy his medals off a collector (I was so pleased to get them back into the family. He fell into hard times before suicide and so we suspect he sold them)

The collector had written up the history for a book he is planning on the Lyon officers of WW1 (and he is still working on)

Need to check if he consulted the BL reference.

Richard

DSC06354.JPG

Well done for recovering those medals.

Charlie 

I noted his mid, Mespot I think. Do you know more on his service there?

Edited by charlie962