The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish Framed Cap Badges

ralphjd

First attempt at framing cap badges , thanks to a several forum members for the advice and supply of the tartan have finally got around to framing my collection, about 400 to go , it's a start. Ralph

P1120995.JPG

Fantastic look Ralph! I like it a lot.

Are the two Gordons badges different? (perhaps Bydand and By dand on the scroll)

Chris

A beautiful presentation of your excellent collection.  I’m surprised though that you didn’t opt for a government tartan (Black Watch) backing.  I say this because not only do polished metal badges look stunning against a dark background, but it was the father of the majority of military tartans and so would constitute a meaningful historical link between the various regimental badges.  Good luck with the rest of your display.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, 4thGordons said:

Fantastic look Ralph! I like it a lot.

Are the two Gordons badges different? (perhaps Bydand and By dand on the scroll)

Chris

No flies on you are there ? Correct got it in one. HLI = long scroll/short scroll/blank long scroll/short blank scroll/south africa cast/south africa not cast. A  and  S 8th batt/ unvoided/ brass/ voided. 9th batt HLI/ Black Watch,/highland cyclist/.  Ralph

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

A beautiful presentation of your excellent collection.  I’m surprised though that you didn’t opt for a government tartan (Black Watch) backing.  I say this because not only do polished metal badges look stunning against a dark background, but it was the father of the majority of military tartans and so would constitute a meaningful historical link between the various regimental badges.  Good luck with the rest of your display.

Thanks I will give that one a whirl, still have a few more Scottish to mount . Took the original advice from Kipling and King reference books. Ralph

I will add to the accolades.... a fantastic display! You've clearly gone to significant effort in arriving at this symmetric presentation.

A request if I might: Could you provide a closeup of the brass Argylls badge?

The brass A&SH and Tyneside Scottish badges are not authentic badges.       Pete.

3 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

The brass A&SH and Tyneside Scottish badges are not authentic badges.       Pete.

Well aware of that, they are mounted as variants, just in the process of buying the white metal 2nd version of the T Scottish.

Edited by ralphjd

Update. Revamped the layout, as Pete rightly pointed out the Tynside Scottish brass badge has now been replaced with an original white metal one, the pre WW1 KOSB removed and the first version Tynside Scottish now in place, think it works out ok. Ralph.

P1120995.JPG

23 minutes ago, ralphjd said:

Update. Revamped the layout, as Pete rightly pointed out the Tynside Scottish brass badge has now been replaced with an original white metal one, the pre WW1 KOSB removed and the first version Tynside Scottish now in place, think it works out ok. Ralph.

P1120995.JPG

Looks great.  I hope that you’ll compare the appearance with a second frame on a government tartan background.  I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Excellent presentation.  What is the small circular badge at the bottom between the Cameron and Tyneside Scottish badges?

21 minutes ago, gordon92 said:

Excellent presentation.  What is the small circular badge at the bottom between the Cameron and Tyneside Scottish badges?

First pattern Tyneside Scottish.

56 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

First pattern Tyneside Scottish.

Thank you.

Got it in one. Had to rejig the two above to accommodate it, not out of place I reckon.

Great looking display,Think I see you got your hands on an old Black Watch Territorial badge with no Sphinx very nice.