Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1921 Census useful?

Skipman

8 hours ago, MaureenE said:

For non military occupations, occupational codes are listed in

A Dictionary of Occupational Terms Based on the Classification of Occupations used in the Census of Population, 1921

https://archive.org/details/DictionaryOfOccupationalTerms/mode/2up

The Preface says No occupations of persons employed in in public administration and defence or professional occupations (Census Code Nos 800-879 inclusive) have been included

Maureen

Edit: Findmypast page

https://www.findmypast.com.au/articles/world-records/1921-census---occupation-codes

810 Persons employed in public administration & defence (excluding professional men & typists) Naval & Marine - Commissioned Officers (effective)
811 Persons employed in public administration & defence (excluding professional men & typists) Naval & Marine - other ratings
812 Persons employed in public administration & defence (excluding professional men & typists) Army - Commissioned Officers (effective)
813 Persons employed in public administration & defence (excluding professional men & typists) Army - other ranks
814 Persons employed in public administration & defence (excluding professional men & typists) Royal Air Force - Commissioned Officers (effective)
815 Persons employed in public administration & defence (excluding professional men & typists) Royal Air Force - other ranks

Maureen - Brilliant! - thank you for locating these.

I believe these are now known as Standard Industrial Classification Codes [SIC]

M

10 hours ago, MaureenE said:

For non military occupations, occupational codes are listed in

A Dictionary of Occupational Terms Based on the Classification of Occupations used in the Census of Population, 1921

https://archive.org/details/DictionaryOfOccupationalTerms/mode/2up

The Preface says No occupations of persons employed in in public administration and defence or professional occupations (Census Code Nos 800-879 inclusive) have been included

Maureen

Edit: Findmypast page

https://www.findmypast.com.au/articles/world-records/1921-census---occupation-codes

810 Persons employed in public administration & defence (excluding professional men & typists) Naval & Marine - Commissioned Officers (effective)
811 Persons employed in public administration & defence (excluding professional men & typists) Naval & Marine - other ratings
812 Persons employed in public administration & defence (excluding professional men & typists) Army - Commissioned Officers (effective)
813 Persons employed in public administration & defence (excluding professional men & typists) Army - other ranks
814 Persons employed in public administration & defence (excluding professional men & typists) Royal Air Force - Commissioned Officers (effective)
815 Persons employed in public administration & defence (excluding professional men & typists) Royal Air Force - other ranks

That saves trying to find an airman and a sailor still serving in 1921, in order to determine their occupation code.

Many thanks Maureen!

22 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

3902220 Warrant Officer 1st Class H Fenner of the South Wales Borderers was awarded his LSGC, as announced in Army Order 126 of 1924. In order to have accumulated eighteen years of undetected crime, he was clearly a WW1 veteran. He did not serve in the South Wales Borderers in WW1, that I can tell. Eight MICs relate to men named Harry Fenner.  

By doing a search of the census WHERE SURNAME = FENNER and OCCUPATION CODE = 813 it is possible to get a list of all men on the census whose occupation is a soldier and surname is Fenner. Harry Fenner, born Guildford is found to be in Ranikhet, so I am pretty chuffed with this ability to search on soldiers with uncommon surnames.

Harry Fenner, born about July 1888 in Guildford.

Up there with death and taxes, as consistent facts of life, is the fact that you cannot find every man that you try to research.

Harry Fenner appears to have been a trumpeter with the 9th Lancers on the 1911 census. He appears to have been married on 24 October 1914, giving his profession as "musician". On the 1921 Census, he is a Bandmaster. He appears to have died on 12 May 1954. 

I theorise that he performed Home Service duties during WW1 and therefore does not have a MIC. Whilst I am a bit disappointed to not find a likely match among the eight Harry Fenner MICs, this is indeed an example of how a pre-war regular who was still serving in 1921 is documented by the census, and hints at what his service during WW1 may have been.

I had hoped to find out more biographical details on Albert Edward Nelson, who served in the Foreign Legion, and was grudgingly issued a silver war badge, documented by a MIC. The 1921 census, with a helping hand from a knowledgeable individual to provide his exact birth date, has unlocked the story as to where he lived for the latter part of his life. I am now aware he was born 8 August 1882 in Calais to an English mother from London, and that he died in Kent on 26 January 1946.

I've found it useful, but won't be really hammering it until it's free.

Two examples -

Intelligence personnel in BAOR and Constantinople: because I knew some names already it was very easy to find the 4-5 pages covering each (because they had been  enumerated as distinct groups), for which I was happy to pay.

Intelligence personnel who served on LoC, BAOR: a list of names, ranks, regiments and home addresses with quite a few typos or other errors.  Searching in the 1921 census using the addresses has given a few pointers - e.g. year of birth - to locating individuals in other records.  In this case I've been using the search results rather than purchasing transcripts/images.

The indexing is a bit dodgy but it is what it is.

Has anyone done any work on the overseas military section of of the 1921 Census? I have realised that I should start to follow up men of RoHs who were still serving.

RM

The Monthly Army Lists contain a section "Commands and Staff" for both the UK and overseas which gives an indication of which regiments are stationed where.

For the July 1921 List, the Overseas section commences https://archive.org/details/monthly-army-list-1921-july/page/n106/mode/1up page 86

Note link shows one page version, due to way the book has been filmed. It is also difficult to read. Editions for other dates may be easier to read, and perhaps won't differ too much in details if they are reasonably close in date.

Other editions https://archive.org/details/monthly-army-list?sort=-date

Maureen

I've used it twice.

In one instance I got a standard census form downloaded. In the second case I got four pages including a map of the area and guidance notes on how to complete the census.

Looks pretty useful to me. 

• 2 months later...

There's a feature with the 1921 Census that I had not made use of before. 

Clement Ernest Saunders was still serving with the Royal Navy at the time of the 1921 Census. He and his family resided at 144 Wingfield Street. Elsewhere on the street were two pubs, the Wingfield Arms (previously known as the Druid Arms) at nos 35-37, and The Dick Turpin at 74 Wingfield Street. The houses appear to have all been knocked down as part of the post-1945 slum clearances that took place in many cities.

To my annoyance the NLS site was temporarily down earlier.

What I did not realise is that below the transcription, the webpage states that person's local area, and attempts to plot on an old map where that address is believed to have been. Not only do you see the plot on an old map, but it gives the opportunity to view a modern map overlay too. 

Without recourse to a more detailed antique map, I won't know for sure where the house actually was, but this is a great way to get an idea of where a person was residing. Forget the transcription, it was worth the fee for the map alone.

I made three tweaks to the historic map screenshot:

1. I marked the existing road in pink
  2. I marked the pathway in red
  3. I changed the colour of the pin, so it became more prominent

historic map
156469384_Censushistoricmap.png.b5870a8dab04f5846e758b49188ec690.png

Modern map overlay

32240679_Censusmodernmap.png.d2894cae0620b255103c3528d35939a6.png

The NLS have started to upload the very detailed 1:500 Towm Plans. Coverage is a bit patchy but the main urban areas are reasoanably well covered