Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nik nac iron cross ribbon on wounded card

arantxa

Any thoughts on this would be great to put a note with it after collecting for 45 years I’m finally listing things with notes .I’ve always been a tad scatty though they do say tidyness and organisation is the sign of a wasted youth don’t they 

0F75D100-75F3-4D2C-A84B-40C3591B2F9A.jpeg

91057044-C561-4CAD-A42D-C0873DA24BF3.jpeg

CFC1D903-38FE-4FD5-94D4-BEE444664D7F.jpeg

BA92EC2D-C9C6-44F8-AC40-4D5F5E04AE21.jpeg

3CADFC3C-413B-488C-8445-AF005451A0EB.jpeg

Edited by arantxa

• arantxa changed the title to Nik nac iron cross ribbon on wounded card
14 hours ago, arantxa said:

Any thoughts on this

The ICRC index cards for most of the German soldiers with names beginning with „Be“ are missing, so where he was as a PoW is a mystery.

Gottlieb Berger was born on 22.08.1888 in Michelbach an der Heide in Württemberg. He was the illegitimate child of Katharina Barbara Berger and Friedrich Köhler (they married later). He had previously served with No.6 Company of the Bavarian 10. Infanterie Regiment between 1908 and 1910. In 1914 he was a Carpenter/Joiner living in Grimma near Leipzig. As a Reservist he was mobilised on 03.08.1914 and went with No.3 Coy of the Bavarian 13. Infanterie Regiment to France. He was wounded in the left arm on 25.08.1914 near Luneville. He returned to the front as a newly promoted Unteroffizier in July 1916. He was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class on 13.08.1916. He was taken PoW, wounded in the right arm, on 27.09.1916 NW of Flers. He returned to Germany and was demobilised on 16.11.1919.

Charlie

Edited by charlie2

Fantastic puts a real story to it and makes it come alive 

small side story my Grandfather in mums side came from Walhausen the surname was Lunkenheimer though changed to Lawrence he came over just before Ww1 on your records is it possible to see if I had any distant relations in the German army all of them lived in that village I don’t know how you look up German soldiers 

Going back to our German he may have seen the tanks at Flers a few days before eh 

1 hour ago, arantxa said:

the surname was Lunkenheimer

Some more information on your Grandfather would help - forename, DoB etc etc. Did he come from Walhausen or Wallhausen? There are more than 1 of each town name. It all helps to reduce the size of the haystack :)

Charlie

Diary for 1/3 Northumbrian FA 28/9/1916 places them in Fricourt Wood.

It also mentions a wounded German Officer who stated that many British shells failed to explode. They may of course have had several Germans.

Can't make out the name on the bottom of the card and the diary doesn't seem to mention any junior officers by name for this period.

TEW

Thank you Tew  good old Teignmouth eh

Better in the summer!

TEW

3 hours ago, charlie2 said:

Gottlieb Berger was born on 22.08.1888 in Michelbach an der Heide in Württemberg.

Well done charlie2. Much more detailed than I was expecting.

Charlie962

39 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Well done charlie2. Much more detailed than I was expecting.

Charlie962

Thank you Charlie, thankfully the Bavarian service records survived.

KB 13. Infanterie Regiment was manning the Gallwitz-Riegel, between the blue arrows, on the 27th.

Charlie2

5E0CE530-2563-4136-BD36-C6B9F9BD1C18.jpeg

The pencil 2 MDS could well be the #2 MDS run by 2/2 Northumbrian FA in Albert.

He may have got the field card from 1/3 Northumbrian FA and then evacuated to Albert. Perhaps he handed over the ribbon at #2.

Still no matching names.

TEW