Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

An interesting short letter about the effect of the Russian Revelation on the British soldiers sent from the front

arantxa

1.jpg.795f4449142fbf7b1ccc05964a917087.jpg

2.jpg

they knew what was coming  who ever this chap was he sounds bright he ends it with the huns have started shelling so please excuse me ending letter 

26529F8E-EEB2-4741-898D-10ABFF7AE582.jpeg

3EB56F86-FE39-4340-B8D8-47F76164BC2F.jpeg

26E20762-3CD2-4B78-843F-654191F42B5D.jpeg

i think it was from Victor Albert Ireland

1 hour ago, arantxa said:

Victor Albert Ireland

There was such a man from Tooting. A service record survives showing he did three months as a Lieut RE in France 1917 but seems to have been discharged with Neurasthenia and then re-enlists as soldier in the Pembroke Yeomanry 1918. Civil job was Railway Accountant. Could this be the author? Except I get the impression that by Nov 1917, the date of the letter, he was in UK.

Needs further investigation.

Edited by charlie962

Yes I thought it was an educated well written letter to

I think the letter is addressed to William R Salter and his wife Cecilia (nee Ireland) who were married 1914. I suspect Cecilia was sister of Victor. I will check census if someone else hasn't already got there.

The recipient was probably the William R Salter that married Cecilia M Ireland in Kingston, in 1914, (hence Will & Ciss).

Victor Albert Ireland had a younger sister called Cecilia Maud Ireland.

I keep being gazumped today.

7 minutes ago, IPT said:

keep being gazumped today

Perhaps you would like to make sense of that unusual service record. A Lt, RE, in 1917 discharged, re-enlists Aug 1918 as ordinary soldier. Shell shock victim, perhaps?

Charlie

He didn't go to France, with the R.E., until 25/8/1917.  That may have meant that the letter was written shortly before he was discharged, hence his mention of nerve trouble.

There is a 'private tree' on ancestry who might be worth contacting.

In 1939 register Victor and his wife Annie were living in Wandsworth. He was still a Railway Clerk and also ARP Warden. I think he died 1946.

2 minutes ago, IPT said:

He didn't go to France, with the R.E., until 25/8/1917.  That may have meant that the letter was written shortly before he was discharged, hence his mention of nerve trouble.

Excellent.

I’m glad at least he lived through the war but he obviously died young