Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Grandfathers Bayonet

hairynosedad

Good Morning Forum Members 

I have recently come into possession of my Grandfathers Bayonet and would kindly ask if anyone could help me decipher the markings as i would be interested to know the history of the manufacture and also the rifle if fitted on (i think a SMLE).

Thank you in advance 

bay 1.jpg

bay 2.jpg

This Enfield (EFD) made example is dated August 1910, and carries the standard inspection and bend test 'X' markings. It was originally a hooked quillon type, this has been removed, but a little of the original crossguard bend can still be seen.  Seems to be in very good condition, a nice example.  It was as you say for the SMLE rifle.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Looks like early Enfield production aug.1910, with later removed hook. pommel area should be presented as there are unit markings.

Edited by AndyBsk

Thank you for your quick response , there appears to be no markings at all on the pommel, my Grandfather carried this for the duration of WW2 as a member of REME attached to the 7th Armoured Division 

bay 3.jpg

bay 4.jpg

Welcome,

It was inspected in 1919, (19 stamped on the ricasso), it was also, I presume, refurbished then. This wouldn’t have originally had a clearance hole in the pommel so post 1916 these were added….I would also suspect the grips were replaced looking at the fit. The frog is a 37 pattern.

Great example that spans both wars.

Dave.

The scabbard is an early type with teardrop frog stud, so 'possibly' original to the bayonet.

Mike.

There is nothing under the frog strap on the pommel , very clean with a perfect flush fit with the surface of the spring loaded catch , looks like it was cleaned up and polished , maybe awaiting marking when it was reissued but it was never done.