Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Plowman, Thomas Pte 33310

SunDodginDoc

Thomas was killed 3 May 1917 at Ecoivres (Mont St Eloi) with 1Bn Royal Berkshire Regiment. As far as I can tell, there are no references to those killed on that day in the War Diary even though there's an account of the action that day. His Pension Card gives the date of his death.  But Find My past says he was also:

FORMERLY 26299, HAMPSHIRE REGT.

I can't find any reference to this elsewhere and I'm presuming his records were burnt, but if anyone could find a little more info, I'd be quite chuffed.

Plowman, Thomas (33310).jpg

War Diary 1Bn Royal Berkshire Regiment WO-95-1371-1_2 pp17 - 18.pdf War Diary 1Bn Royal Berkshire Regiment WO-95-1371-1_2 p13.pdf

2 hours ago, SunDodginDoc said:

FORMERLY 26299, HAMPSHIRE REGT.

This information came from Soldiers Died in the Great War (SDGW), originally a multi-volume publication by the HMSO from the 1920's. This drew on simple extracts provided by the relevant army records offices at the time when all the individual service records still existed. In cases where subsequently the records went up in flames this can often be the only way to identify a mans first unit.

In the case of 33310 Thomas Plowman, Royal Berkshire Regiment, his Medal Index Card makes no reference to the Hampshire Regiment, making it likely he did not see overseas service with that Regiment. The MiC also shows he only qualified for the Victory Medal and British War Medal, so did not serve in a Theatre of War until some point on or after the 1st January 1916. But the 1st Battalion of the Royal Berkshire Regiment had been in France & Flanders since the 13th August 1914. So Thomas has to have been part of a replacement draft, which means his training in the UK has to have been as part of another unit.

Checking the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database for fatalities of men with nearby service numbers and cross-referencing to SDGW brings up:-

33302 Herbert Alfred Parker Killed in Action with the 2nd Battalion 2nd April 1918, formerly 25981 Hampshire Regiment.
33305 Albert Edward Warren Killed in Action with the 1st Battalion 29th April 1917, formerly 26396 Hampshire Regiment.
33314 Edward Seymour Dowling Killed in Action with the 2nd Battalion 27th April 1918 formerly 26228 Hampshire Regiment.
33316 Harry Edward Sherwood Killed in Action with the 1st Battalion 3rd May 1917, formerly 18302 Hampshire Regiment.
33321 Ernest Charles Garland Died of Wounds with the 1st Battalion 30th November 1917  - no former unit shown.
33326 William Henry Marshall Killed in Action with the 5th Battalion 17th March 1917 formerly 23185 Hampshire Regiment.

Although none of those appear to have surviving serving records, FMP does show some for 33320 Robert Harold Richard Neal and 33323 Frederick Dyer. A check of those will hopefully give you some idea of when and where this bulk transfer from the Hampshires to the Berkshire Regiment occurred. It may also be worthwhile expanding the search.

A similiar near numbers search based around his Hampshire Regiment number may likewise turn up men with surviving service records. If recurring patterns occur in those then it may be possible to infer something about the early part of his Army career,

Hope that helps,
Peter.

Edited by PRC
Typo

Looking at a list of Hampshire regiment men with near by regimental numbers I would say he was called up between 31.7.16 and 2.8.16 and was posted to 16/Bn for his basic training, although it might have been to 13/Bn.

Although he was obviously part of a draught of Hampshire Regt men transferred to the R. Berks Regt I have found no information on any with similar Hampshire Regt numbers.  I have only found details of 9 men with Hampshire Regt service numbers between 26250 and 26350, and of those 4 later served in the Labour Corps and one was discharged sick with no overseas service. 

The service record of 33320 Robert Harold Richard Neal gives a date of transfer from Hampshire Regt to R Berks Regt as 12.12.16

@PRC, @butler  thank you both for your detective work overnight. Whilst my skills at such work are improving I've not yet thought about looking at details of those with similar numbers to improve knowledge of an individual. I'm going to follow through on the information you've provided, folks. You've been a great help.

Pete

• Admin

The gratuity of £3 paid to his wife and recorded on Soldiers Effects on Ancestry indicates less than 12 months service when killed, indicating confirmation of the suggested enlistment dates above.

A married man born in 1876 he would have been subject to the Military Service (No2)Act and placed on the Army Reserve on the 3rd June 1916 ('deemed to have enlisted') and called up for service on a specified date before the 24th July 1916.  Initially reporting to the local depot before being posted to a reserve battalion for training (in all likelihood the 16th Hants) which was integrated into the 96th Training Reserve in September 1916.

A slightly more legible surviving record is that of Pte 33333 Earley /26344 Hants who was in the same draft as Pte Neal, and presumably Pte Plowman, they were posted to the 5th Berkshire Regiment in the UK on the 12 December  and posted to the BEF the same day. Neal's entry for the 5th is struck through an they were posted to the 8th at the IBD Rouen, apparently joining the Battalion in the field on 17 March 1917.  Earley may be indexed on Ancestry under his ASC number M2/32316.

15 hours ago, butler said:

Looking at a list of Hampshire regiment men with near by regimental numbers I would say he was called up between 31.7.16 and 2.8.16 and was posted to 16/Bn for his basic training, although it might have been to 13/Bn.

Although he was obviously part of a draught of Hampshire Regt men transferred to the R. Berks Regt I have found no information on any with similar Hampshire Regt numbers.  I have only found details of 9 men with Hampshire Regt service numbers between 26250 and 26350, and of those 4 later served in the Labour Corps and one was discharged sick with no overseas service. 

The service record of 33320 Robert Harold Richard Neal gives a date of transfer from Hampshire Regt to R Berks Regt as 12.12.16

You guys all amaze me. I've looked all over (but clearly not in the right place!) For Robert's record but can't find it!
However, thank you again, @butler. It will go some way to helping my aunt (not a blood relative) learn a little about her grandfather.

@kenf48 thank you. This helps to give my aunt a little context regarding her grandfather.