Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My family in the great war

Glynn1

Hi,im looking its a very long shot but a pic of my great great uncke from ww1,sadly theres no family left living to say what he looked like and finding a pic with his name on if theres any is a million to one shot but i gotta try,his name is William Sparrow 8777 1st Battalion Royal Berkshire regiment fought and died at the somme at the battle of delville wood. If anyone comes across any such pic could they inform me it would be truely appriciated i know its a long shot. Thank you 

You can search some online

british newspaper archives and Findmypast 

to be thorough, search papers where he lived and if different where his parents lived 

For those looking he appears to have died 3-8-1916 aboard the Hospital ship Gloucester Castle at 'Havre' according to his soldier's effects

George

• Admin

He’s buried at Ste. Marie cemetery in Le Havre, which makes sense. So didn’t die at the Somme. Wounded  there then died of wounds. Came from Manchester. 

It looks as though you need to search the Salford and Hulme newspapers, particularly in August + September 1916. There are no family trees on 'Ancestry' that have a photo of him. Perhaps someone with access to the British Newspaper Archive could let us know if there is any hope of finding a photo of him there?

BillyH.

Thank you all so much very very grateful gonna be heading down to our central and salford libraries to check old papers clippings from that date. The info yous have given me is appriciated thank you once again