Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Advise please William Clarke K24433

Bill'sgrandaughter

Hi All, 

I wonder if I can have some advice please:

My GGF William Clarke Ser No K24433 - I have found limited information on him and I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction to try and get more information on him. 

I tried to research the name of his hat but could not find any precise info. I have attached a photo of him and his wife Ethel Nash and the service record I could find. 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks, 

Jo

IMG_5802.jpg.2eb3b10d1e8122501a704fc6dabc4f02.jpg

IMG_4522.jpg.51c45d40e2f58b1d74ba11531e5f87a8.jpgIMG_5800.jpg.a115d23d56f8728e71aa6856d5016ba1.jpg

HMS OSTRICH, a Destroyer, March 1900 sold out of service Apl 1920.

William Clarke was enrolled as a Stoker 2nd class & advanced to Stoker 1st class 25 Jan 1916. Demobilized 17 Feb 1919.

His medals would have been 1914-15 star, British War & Victory medals.

After training at Chatham, based in the RN Barracks (HMS PEMBROKE), he spent until April 1918 in the war at sea in the destroyer HMS OSTRICH. He was first based at Rosyth with the 8th Destroyer Flotilla (Firth of Forth Local Defence Flotilla,) parented by HMS TYNE. From June 1917 OSTRICH was parented by HMS WALLINGTON while based at Immingham for three months as part of the East Coast Convoy Flotilla. OSTRICH was then moved to Lowestoft (parented by HMS HALCYON) to become the sole destroyer under Captain-in-Charge, Lowestoft, to help him keep three small vessels and a monitor in order. From April 1918 he saw out the war in Chatham Barracks (HMS PEMBROKE) , back where he started. He claimed the three medals listed by @RNCVR after he was demobilised.

11 minutes ago, Lawryleslie said:

He had two spells in cells 14days and 10 days.

I thought that is what it said. Is there any way to find out why? 

For both sentences to cells (reasons now lost) his Character (= conduct) assessments (C) at the end of 1917 and 1918 were reduced from Very Good to just Good, (A sentence of 22 days or more would have recdcuced his assessment to Fair). At the end of 1916 his Ability (A) as a stoker was assesed as only Moderate.

Edited by horatio2

6 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

For both sentences to cells (reasons now lost) his Character (= conduct) assessments (C) at the end of 1917 and 1918 were reduced from Very Good to just Good, (A sentence of 22 days or more would have recdcuced his assessment to Fair). At the end of 1916 his Ability (A) as a stoker was assesed as only Moderate.

Thank you Horatio, oh no. I believe he sustained some sort of injury to his arm so I’m assuming that could be the reason for the ability rating. 

I’m assuming trips to the cells wasn’t all that unusual ? I’ve seen it a few times or maybe it’s just my relatives *** 😂 

Thanks again. 

14 minutes ago, Bill'sgrandaughter said:

I’m assuming trips to the cells wasn’t all that unusual ?

Cells was a serious punishment, not handed down for minor offences. Confinement in a cell carries with it deprivation of Good Conduct Badges (but he held none anyway) and forfeiture of time {i.e. the time in cells did not count as time served) and loss of wages for the period of the confinement.

Some of the accompanying conditions:-

Low diet is limited to the first three days, and is obligatory for leave-breaking offences. 

The offender is daily to pick two pounds of oakum, which is to be weighed when given to him and again when received from him.

He is not to be allowed the use of his bed or bedding for the first four nights, but in cold weather he may have a blanket if considered necessary and specially ordered. After the first four nights he is to be allowed his bedding every alternate night.

He is to be allowed a Bible and the use of religious books, and, if a member of the Church of England, is to attend Divine Service on Sundays. He is to be deprived of tobacco, knives, razors, writing material, and all secular books and papers.

Exercise.-After the third day's confinement he is to be brought on deck under the sentry's charge for two hours a day, one hour a.m. and one hour p.m.

23 minutes ago, Bill'sgrandaughter said:

I believe he sustained some sort of injury to his arm so I’m assuming that could be the reason for the ability rating. 

An injury would not be a reason for a downgrade from Superior or Satisfactory Ability to Moderate as that would be, in effect, a punishment for being injured. There was more to bing a stoker than just  shovelling coal.

Oh my goodness after the first time of all that you’d have thought he would never have wanted to repeat it. Thank you for the information and context Horatio. Very interesting. 

I wonder why his Ability level slipped so. I suppose we will never know. 

To be rated Stoker 1st Class (as he was in January 1916) he would have to show:  efficiency as a fireman when boiler is working at full power; ability to attend and lubricate a bearing; knowledge of the names and uses of the principal tools in ordinary use in the Engine Room Department ; an intelligent use of the more simple ones, e.g.., spanner, hammer, and chisel, file, screw-driver; ability to plait gasket for packing; fair knowledge of the Stokers' Manual.

His knowledge and ability would have been expected to improve over time but, clearly, by the end of 1916 he had mnade not made even Satisfactory progress. although he improved to Satisfactory in 1917 and 1918. There were five grades of Ability:  Exceptional, Superior, Satisfactory, Moderate, Inferior.

Edited by horatio2

Exceptional =  A man who performs the duties of his rating in a more efficient manner than the majority of men holding the same rating, and who is considered eminently fitted for special and early advancement.

Superior =  A man who performs his duties in an efficient manner and is considered fit for advancement in his turn but not for special advancement.

Satisfactory =  A man who performs his duties in an efficient manner but who-owing to inexperience or other causes is not considered fit for advancement at present.

Moderate =  A man who performs his duties in a fairly efficient manner and is not considered fit for advancement.

Inferior =  A man who performs his duties in an inefficient manner.

12 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

His knowledge and ability would have been expected to improve over time but, clearly, by the end of 1916 he had mnade not made even Satisfactory progress. although he improved to Satisfactory in 1917 and 1918. There were five grades of Ability:  Exceptional, Superior, Satisfactory, Moderate, Inferior.

I suppose we have to be thankful he only slipped to moderate. I’m sure it was not a easy job, then again I’m sure none of the roles were easy then and now. 

Great info thank you. I’m going to see my parents later, I share with My Mum the information supplied. 

Help much appreciated.