Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John K R Frey, MI 1c Intelligence

Matmu

1 hour ago, corisande said:

There is an extensive Ancestry tree for her - click which includes all 3 children but no mention of Joseph Main

It also gives her full name as Mary Jane Gorman Hunter Ginley

Sorry Charlie I didn’t see the link to the tree. That is my tree, but I added her provisionally yesterday when I found the birth and death dates until I find out more. 

I believe the KLR museum has an extensive database of men who served in the regiment - perhaps that would be a useful line of research?

2 hours ago, QUEX said:

I believe the KLR museum has an extensive database of men who served in the regiment - perhaps that would be a useful line of research?

Thanks Quex will give that a try. 

Hi all, 

Just a question, someone at the KLR museum suggested that my great grandad’s military papers and info would be in South Africa as he was South African, even though he fought for the British army in WW1. I have my doubts.  Does that sound right to anyone please?

Cheers

6 minutes ago, Matmu said:

Hi all, 

Just a question, someone at the KLR museum suggested that my great grandad’s military papers and info would be in South Africa as he was South African, even though he fought for the British army in WW1. I have my doubts.  Does that sound right to anyone please?

Cheers

If he was enlisted directly into the British Army the records would in the UK (if they survived).

Craig

25 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

If he was enlisted directly into the British Army the records would in the UK (if they survived).

Craig

Thanks Craig. I suspected as much

Cheers

Matthew

43 minutes ago, Matmu said:

Just wondered if anyone has any specific information on what roll MI 1c played in WW1 please?

What is the source of your information, and what are you trying to establish? Where does "MI 1c" come from?

Do you believe he was in a unit named MI 1c and you want to know what role it fulfilled? All I saw from the other thread is that his name was in a ledger. The unique identifier of the ledger was INTELL 1C, its corresponding archive reference for this medal roll would appear to be WO 329/2428.

By a similar token, Algernon Bennett is on the 1914-15 Star roll for the Royal Engineers. 
The unique identifier of the ledger was RE 27C, its corresponding archive reference for this medal roll would appear to be WO 329/2602.  The "RE 27C" is the ledger and is not a unit.

1 hour ago, Matmu said:

Just wondered if anyone has any specific information on what roll MI 1c played in WW1 please?

I wonder if this relates to your other thread:

If so ... Might it not be better if these topics were combined in a single [the original] thread??

There seems likely some info in the other thread.

M

12 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

I wonder if this relates to your other thread:

If so ... Might it not be better if these topics were combined in a single [the original] thread??

There seems likely some info in the other thread.

M

Hi Matlock,

You’re right. I’m sorry I’m new on here and I wasn’t sure how to go about it. 

Ill have a try. 

51 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

What is the source of your information, and what are you trying to establish? Where does "MI 1c" come from?

Do you believe he was in a unit named MI 1c and you want to know what role it fulfilled? All I saw from the other thread is that his name was in a ledger. The unique identifier of the ledger was INTELL 1C, its corresponding archive reference for this medal roll would appear to be WO 329/2428.

By a similar token, Algernon Bennett is on the 1914-15 Star roll for the Royal Engineers. 
The unique identifier of the ledger was RE 27C, its corresponding archive reference for this medal roll would appear to be WO 329/2602.  The "RE 27C" is the ledger and is not a unit.

Hello,

sorry it wasn’t very clear. I meant Millitary intelligence 1c or Secret Intelligence Services. 

1 minute ago, Matlock1418 said:

You can ask the Moderators to merge the two threads - use the "Report" option in the 3 dots [...] at top right of a posting.

M

Thank you

4 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

You can now ask the Moderators to merge the two threads - use the "Report" option in the 3 dots [...] at top right of a posting [I suggest you use one of mine]

M

Done

MI1(c) was one of the names used in the Great War period for what later became MI6, and later the Secret Intelligence Service.

There are a number of files at the National Archives, Kew, in classes HD, especially HD3, relating to its activities.

Ron

• Admin

Threads merged as requested.

3 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

MI1(c) was one of the names used in the Great War period for what later became MI6, and later the Secret Intelligence Service.

There are a number of files at the National Archives, Kew, in classes HD, especially HD3, relating to its activities.

Ron

Hi Ron, thanks. What are classes hd please? Can I find them online?

8 minutes ago, Matmu said:

Hello,

sorry it wasn’t very clear. I meant Millitary intelligence 1c or Secret Intelligence Services. 

Thank you

Do you have evidence that links your grandfather with a body known as MI 1c, as I am unaware of any source documents to back this up?

2 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

Do you have evidence that links your grandfather with a body known as MI 1c, as I am unaware of any source documents to back this up?

All I have is that on his medal index card it says Intell 1c and some of the guys on the forum indicated that it might mean he was part of MI 1c

F170CFA5-5E5C-4796-90CC-7937DDC6232F.png

4 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

Now the new thread is merged into this original - I think it earlier was @corisande who was knowledgeable.

M

6 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

@Matmu If you want to now add added attraction for intelligence to this part of your enquiries you could always edit and add "Intelligence", "Intell 1C" and/or "MI 1c" [or similar] to this thread's title

= To edit your original title hover your mouse pointer over the original title from your first post and then follow the option.

M

Can’t get this to work

• Michelle Young changed the title to John K R Frey, MI 1c Intelligence
1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

Hmm ???

I'm not an expert but the next option might be to again "Report" to the Moderators and nicely ask them to add what you want added - so as to assist them I suggest you give them the text pre-prepared.

They are usually very helpful. :-)

M

Edit: I note you/somebody @Michelle Young[on the ball as always!] has quickly managed to revise your thread title. I hope it works as added suitable bait now. Good luck.

That’s seriously efficient! Thanks Michelle

26 minutes ago, RussT said:

There's a Rudolph Frey registered to vote in Liverpool for a few years post war.

Frey Electoral Register.jpg

Hi Russ,

where dis you find that please. I’ve been looking for that kind of info. North hill st is the right address. His son was called Rudolph too but as he was born in 1919 he would have been a bit too young to vote!

• Admin
15 minutes ago, Matmu said:

Hi Russ,

where dis you find that please. I’ve been looking for that kind of info. North hill st is the right address. His son was called Rudolph too but as he was born in 1919 he would have been a bit too young to vote!

Ancestry:

Rudolph Fry - Liverpool, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1970 - Ancestry.co.uk

Russ

1 hour ago, Matmu said:

All I have is that on his medal index card it says Intell 1c and some of the guys on the forum indicated that it might mean he was part of MI 1c

I am not seeing any evidence other than Frey was in a medal roll ledger which had a prefix of "INTELL" and that Algernon Bennett (1888-1955) was in a medal roll ledger which had a prefix of "RE" .

I have yet to see 'some of the guys' provide source-based evidence in support of having served in a non-uniformed intelligence service.