Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Could undiagnosed otitis media have been mistaken for drunkenness?

rolt968

I am wondering if a sergeant who was reduced to the ranks for drunkenness on 12 December 1914 was the victim of a miscarriage of justice. His medical record shows that he suffered from Otitis Media. It was not diagnosed as such until 29 December 1914, but he was suffering from "earache" from an earlier date until 23 December 1914 (the burning of his record has obliterated both the start of the earache and the number of days involved). The otitis media continued until 16 February 1914.

I am wondering if undiagnosed otitis medi had been mistaken for drunkenness or at least the condition made his drunken condition seem worse than it was.

RM

• Admin

Otitis media can cause loss of balance, so I would imagine the scenario was possible.

10 hours ago, rolt968 said:

I am wondering if a sergeant who was reduced to the ranks for drunkenness on 12 December 1914 was the victim of a miscarriage of justice. His medical record shows that he suffered from Otitis Media. It was not diagnosed as such until 29 December 1914, but he was suffering from "earache" from an earlier date until 23 December 1914 (the burning of his record has obliterated both the start of the earache and the number of days involved). The otitis media continued until 16 February 1914.

I am wondering if undiagnosed otitis medi had been mistaken for drunkenness or at least the condition made his drunken condition seem worse than it was.

RM

As Michelle has mentioned, it certainly could have given the appearance, or aggravated the appearance, of being drunk. It may also have been a case that he was drinking to cope with the infection.

Craig

Or suffering from Labyrinthitis, Benign Positional Vertigo or Meniere's Disease.

Virtually any middle or inner ear problem can cause vertigo.

But the problem here is one of timing. The first earache was documented 11 days after the offence.

Not enough to convince a judge and jury to acquit I'm afraid, but more than enough for a Channel 5 documentary if you put in enough 'if's', 'maybes' and 'possiblys'.

10 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

But the problem here is one of timing. The first earache was documented 11 days after the offence.

That was just a result of the meeting with the CO.

It's always fun to speculate, but another of those little mysteries lost to time.

Craig

3 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Otitis media can cause loss of balance, so I would imagine the scenario was possible.

1 hour ago, ss002d6252 said:

That was just a result of the meeting with the CO.

It's always fun to speculate, but another of those little mysteries lost to time.

Craig

Thank you both.

It first appears as "earache" on his record. I suppose he could also have been drinking to cope with the pain.

It's very interesting the things you turn up when you read the records.

There isn't enough evidence but I wonder if anyone has ever tried to have someone's rank restored more than a hundred years later.

RM

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Virtually any middle or inner ear problem can cause vertigo.

Not enough to convince a judge and jury to acquit I'm afraid, but more than enough for a Channel 5 documentary if you put in enough 'if's', 'maybes' and 'possiblys'.

Many thanks. I had meant to include this in the quotes above!

RM