Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Wilson McIntyre - 1st Battalion, Queeen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)

Neil

Hello,

I am trying to find further information on my Great Grandad, William Wilson McIntyre.

This is what I have found so far:

William Wilson McIntyre
DOB: 1876
Died: 26/10/1917
Service No.: G/17855
1st Battalion, Queeen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)
Formerly Royal Fusiliers

Has a marked grave in the Hooge Crater Cemetry (location VIII.A.2.)

I would love to read the battalion war diaries from this time, but from my research it doesn't look like they have been digitised.

I would also like to know if he was awarded any medals, and when he actually went over to Belgium.

Any advice, or pointers on where to look for this info, much appreciated!

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

I would love to read the battalion war diaries from this time, but from my research it doesn't look like they have been digitised.

Might be worth looking here https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q="1 battalion" "royal west kent"&_srt=3&_ps=30 There seem a few - commonly free to download after a free registration

M

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

I would also like to know if he was awarded any medals, and when he actually went over to Belgium.

In b/w from TNA https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D3827339 - free to download [in colour from Ancestry / Fold3 - you can get a very basic free subscription to Ancestry]

A British War Medal and Victory Medal only - so went overseas after 31/12/1915

M

You might be interest in this pension index card

1959704457_McINTYREW.W.G-17855.png.37f2e3f68a615cdba1c7355e5134df37.png

Image courtesy of WFA/Fold3

The 6.8.80 date of birth is for his widow - as it could affect the level of pension she personally recieved [increased once she was over 45]

The £5 Grant was for funeral expenses, newspaper inserts etc.

Normal SA [Separation Allowance] was continued to be paid for c.6 months whilst the pension was sorted out.

She would normally receive a pension allowance for each of the children until they each reached 16. Addit: The card is marked DEAD 7.10.30 - this means the claim was by then ended/considered dead and that date would appear to be after the youngest child reached 16

M

Edit: Craig - I now see we crossed!

Edited by Matlock1418
Edit and later Addit:

Awesome work!  Thanks both. 

Have downloaded the war diary for the date in question.

A large number were initially reported as 'missing' on that night (211 men), due to heavy shelling and poor ground conditions making searching difficult.

Got a bit of work to do now reading / transcribing the rest of it.

Thanks again :)

Hi Neil,

There is a Red Cross PoW enquiry card (link) which indicates that when he went missing, William was serving in 'A' Company - 2nd Platoon.

His CWGC records appear to show that he was moved to his current burial place from map reference 28.J.21.b.8.2. That is likely to be quite close to where he originally fell. It can be located by using the reference in this website, and might be interesting to cross reference against the Battalion war diary, and the one for the Brigade HQ (link).

If you would like an image of his headstone, it looks like British War Graves (link) would be able to send you one on a free of charge basis.

In his Soldiers Effects record his wife is named as being his 'sole legatee'. The use of that term implies that William left a Will (possibly only consisting of a very few words). The obvious place to look for it is here. Unfortunately the site is currently down for maintenance, so I can't do a search for you.

In addition to the extract from his service file that I've already posted, it also notes some admissions for medical treatment.

image.png.4d8f348eb39591e61b37adcc85635f2a.png
Image sourced from Findmypast

CCS = Casualty Clearing Station
SH = Stationary Hospital
GH = General Hospital

Regards
Chris

Hi Chris.  Thanks very much for all of this, it is very much appreciated, by myself and my family.  The map ref tool is an inspired idea!

I actually visited Ypres back in 2018 but didn't know, at that time, that my Great Grandfather was killed there, much less had a marked grave.

We stayed in a house in a place called Scottish Wood.

In the war diaries, that looks to be one of the locations of the battalion rest camps.

Feels strange that we were in the same spot 101 years later, without realising it.

Still, will give me an excuse to go out there again :)