Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Some advise please

Guest winto

Hi

I have recently found medal index cards for two of my ancestors. Both men were with the Notts & Derby Regiment. Now I want to find out more about which battalions they were in and which battles they fought in etc but I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this type of research. I've looked at the Long Long Trail and its a really helpful site, but there is so much info that I'm starting to get a bit lost! Some guidance or advise at this point would be really great.

The details I don't really know how to use on the cards are:

Theatre of War: (1) France

Date of Entry: 27-2-15

Theatre of War: (1) France

Date of Entry: 1-3-15

From reading The Long Long Trail I gather that the Date of Entry was the date the men actually landed on foreign soil and I've tried to follow their explanation of how to determine what regiment/battle etc the men were in, but here is the point I get totally lost!

Also on one of the cards in the Remarks is something that looks like Class 1. (or it could possibly be a 2) and then 13.3.19. The Long Long Trail doesnt give me an explanation of the likely meaning to this. I assume that 13.3.19 is a date, could it perhaps be the date he left the Regiment?

Any help would be wonderful.

Thank you in advance :)

winto

Ypu've found the cards, now you need to look at the medal rolls which might help you identify the battalions in which your relatives served. If you can't get to the National Archives to check the rolls you could post a request in the "I'm Going to the PRO" section of this website or alternatively engage a paid researcher to do the leg-work for you. You should also check the burnt and unburnt documents at the National Archives to see if their service records exist. If they were officers, you stand a better chance of finding this sort of information.

You are right in that the date tells you when they arrived on foreign soil and which country.

It is probably Class Z which means that they were discharged (or disembodied in the case of territorials) but could be recalled in the event of war breaking out again imminently.

Post images of the cards if you like and see if anyone can help you further. But my advice would be to check the other lines of research at the National Archives as well.

Good luck

Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks for taking the time to reply as everyting helps towards a better understanding. I think I will look for someone to research on my behalf at the National Archives as per your suggestion.

Best regards

winto

No problem. I haven't used his services and have no connection with him other than benefiting greatly from his website and forum but you could do worse than investigate the research service that Chris Baker offers.

But try the "I'm Going To The PRO" section first. Nothing to be lost by asking if some kind soul out there could help you...

Paul

Hi

the dates of entry to France would suggest to me that both men were in the Territorial Battalions of the Notts and Derbys that formed part of the 46th North Midland Divison

Chris