Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Col Thomas Gordon Cumming Bliss C.B.E

Angus Mansfield

Could anyone help with a Lt Col Thomas Gordon Cumming Bliss of Harbour View Road Parkstone - he died in 1949 but I have his Payment Card for the purchase of a Motor Car to W M Whiteley of Queens Road London from 1920 to 1923 and would like to see if I can get a photo of him - I have pieced together his military service from WW1  including him getting a CBE in 1919 - he served in the Army Pay Corps but the normal searches don't come up with anything - any help appreciated

Bliss No 1.jpg

Bliss No 2.jpg

Bliss No 3.jpg

TGC Bliss Col .jpg

Hi

be worth you saying what you mean by normal searches have been done. Where you  think is normal I might not and vice versa

ie newspapers online, local  library fiche, family trees on line etc  etc  I could reel off a load of places but you might have looked there 

Coldstreamer - thanks and you are right of course. I have looked through Ancestry.com (he is listed in several trees but with no photograph) the Imperial War Museum photographic archive, The National Archive and via Social Media on Facebook through Old Bournemouth and Poole remembered - any other suggestions appreciated 

I realise this does not help with a photo, but this is his entry from Who Was Who

Bliss, Col Thomas Gordon. 

CBE 1919.   Born 30 Aug. 1869; s of late T. Bliss, Bengal; m 1891; one s; died 24 Oct. 1949.   Education:  St Charles College; privately.  Career:  Joined 3rd Lancashire Fusiliers, 1889; first commission in Lancashire Fusiliers, 1893; transferred to the Army Pay Dept as Captain, 1899; continued service in the same until retired with hon. rank of Colonel, 1922; re-employed as cashier of the Southern Command, 1927–34.  Recreations:  Chess, golf and gardening.  Address:  Westgarth, Parkstone, Dorset

Edited by travers61

The 1939 Register shows him as residing at 18 Harbour View Rd , Poole. He is noted as being “Retired from the Reserve of Officers RAPC 1929.”

Probate record shows he died on 24 October 1949. Effects £1284 5s 4d.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Try British newspaper archive and findmypast

Use multiple searches 

Ie col bliss colonel bliss 

t bliss Thomas bliss etc

as you never know exactly how , if at all,  the format used

I got a great picture I was after from the soldiers relative but waited years for him to see the post so don’t give up

Hi All,

5 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

The 1939 Register shows him as residing at 18 Harbour View Rd , Poole. He is noted as being “Retired from the Reserve of Officers RAPC 1929.”

Probate record shows he died on 24 October 1949. Effects £1284 5s 4d.

TR

Probate in 1949 shows his address as "Westgarth" 14 Harbour View Rd., Poole, Dorset. same address from 1935 (Probate for wife Agnes Gertrude ,  nee Zimmerman)

The 1939 register is No.14. not 18.

Thomas G C Bliss was born in Simla, Rajshahi, Bangladesh,

Only son Cecil Gordon died 1986, Bournemouth, Dorset, 23, 140.

The nearest I can get, at the moment, is his younger brother Randolph Stuart Bliss, b.14.6.1872, Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan 28.12.-1930. Karachi, Bombay. His youngest daughter was Hilarie Anscomb Bliss  (Married Macdonald)1921-6.2.1997.

Randolph photo....

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/11035838/person/25553047870/facts..I would contact the tree owner.

Regards Barry

EDIT...Very long shot, as he was a golfer I would try Parkstone Golf Club...past Captains etc.

Edited by The Inspector

Liking the golf pun Barry 

Also try searching in papers for bliss and golf