Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private (Acting S/Sgt) J Hills Reg/11 Army Veterinary Corps

Ali Blake

• 2 weeks later...

No photos or medals I'm afraid Charlie.  His son died when he was only 28 and my father-in-law also passed away as a reasonably young man.  And he was an only child.  I've been having a look through the NA Lines of Communications archives - you kindly sent me the link for No12 VH.  There were only 3 which mobilised in Aug 1914. No5 was a small detachment in Shoreditch (too far way from where John lived) and No7 was based in Ireland.  Neither embarked from England to France on 12 Aug.  No6 did and there is mention of the reservists joining the permanent staff on 6 Aug.  So No6 seems to be the unit.  Still to read through it all to see if there's any mention of his name.  Not very likely, unless his promotion to Acting S/Sgt is recorded.

Ali

I wonder whether he was working as a groom for the RA barracks prewar- seems probable in light of our earlier discussions.

He might then have gone across to France attached to a horse or field battery at first?

Does @David Porter have a view on a possible Woolwich based battery that went to France 12/8/14?

Charlie.

I've just been reading thro some info and that is a possibility if there was no requirement for him to be called back into active duty to his old unit.  He could have been working for the AVC or RHA as a civilian groom.  It seems that some men would have enlisted in a one unit or regt and then transferred to the AVC if they had experience with horses and mules

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

Does @David Porter have a view on a possible Woolwich based battery that went to France 12/8/14?

There are none that fit that criteria. Probably best to try and find a surviving record for those also on the AVC Medal Roll who have a France entry date of August 12, 1914.

Thanks David.  I have the 2 relevant pages listing J Hill so I'll have a look through some others and see which Service Nos embarked on 12 Aug 14 and check for surviving records

34 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

would that include RHA?

Yes, 3rd and 7th Brigades RHA have an entry date of August 15, 1914 and were the first of the RH & RFA units across to France.

Charlie and David

FYI.  I've looked at quite a few AVC privates who embarked along with John on 12 Aug.  There's only one I've found so far who has some records which survive and he was previously in the ASC.  Another 2, although there are no docs, were in the RAMC.  I also checked some of the lower Service Nos of any rank, and again drew a blank apart from the MICs and AVC Medal Rolls.  It certainly looks as if the men who went out first had a reserve liability.  I'm happy that Reg/11 Pte J Hills is great grandfather.

Thanks again for your help