Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Welsh (Howitzer) Brigade

lambo220

Hi

I'm working on a project to identify and remember the men of the 1st Welsh Howitzers  (Swansea, Morriston, Neath and Briton Ferry) from their formation in 1908, through to the end of the War - my great uncle served with them, and researching him has evolved into wanting to know more about the unit.

To date, I've found over 900 of them from various sources, but I'd love to talk to anyone who has any information relating to the men or history of the unit that they are prepared to share.

Many thanks.  John.

Gunners, 1914 Swansea.jpg

I've done quite a bit of work on them and have a section devoted to them in my forthcoming book. I have charted the movements from the outbreak of war to going overseas and looked at the numbers the men were allocated. 725001 - 730000 was allotted to 1st Welsh Brigade RFA for the TF renumbering in January 1917 and 967 were given numbers from this block at the time (up to 725967). Prior to this, I think you will find numbers 844 - 1555 were issued from August 1914 to October 1915 but further numbers were added up to June 1916. There was also a 530 Battery formed in July 1916 which used up the last 153 of the 967 - but most of these were from 3rd East Lancashire Brigade. After that it gets complicated and it is best to ignore them.

I do have a distant relative who was in the brigade and can give you his details if you wish. 

• 11 months later...

My grandfather Trefor Tawe Davies is in that photograph! Born and lived in Morristown Swansea. As you look at photo he’s seated and fourth from the right. He was informed after training in Uk that he would not fight as he had a “dodgy heart”. It probably saved him and made him smile when he passed away at the age of 96! He spent WW1 training horses and colleagues for the corps and was discharged during 1919. Hope this assists with research.

• 11 months later...

Hi John. You have been in contact with my niece, asking about John Solomon Kift. He was my grandfather. Although my records have him as Solomon John, and was known as Jack Kift, 

All I know is what my Mother told me. He saw service at the Somme and was responsible for looking after the horses. she told me that his 3 brothers also saw service at the Somme and all returned. They were William, bptzd 3/7/1892, Philip Llewelyn b 20/9/1897 (d15/9/1963) and Ernest Gilbert b 28/12/1901.

I know his son Ian Kift had photos and postcards sent from the front, but I think they have been lost. Perhaps his sons, Paul and Daniel Kift could help. 

Rgds Phil Harris

• Admin
10 hours ago, Phil Harris said:

Hi John. You have been in contact with my niece, asking about John Solomon Kift. He was my grandfather. Although my records have him as Solomon John, and was known as Jack Kift, 

All I know is what my Mother told me. He saw service at the Somme and was responsible for looking after the horses. she told me that his 3 brothers also saw service at the Somme and all returned. They were William, bptzd 3/7/1892, Philip Llewelyn b 20/9/1897 (d15/9/1963) and Ernest Gilbert b 28/12/1901.

I know his son Ian Kift had photos and postcards sent from the front, but I think they have been lost. Perhaps his sons, Paul and Daniel Kift could help. 

Rgds Phil Harris

Welcome to the GWF

Assuming by John you mean @Jonathan Hughes he has not visited the GWF for many months. my tag should alert him to your post. Once you have two posts you can correspond  using the GWF Personal Message system if they still use their registered email.  Reply to this and you're done and then just click on his name to use th PM facility.

• Admin

Or maybe @lambo220

14 hours ago, Phil Harris said:

Rgds Phil Harris

Hi Phil

Thanks for getting in touch, Both Jack and Phillip served in the Brigade and William served in the 2nd Devons and lost a leg in late 1915. 

I will message you directly.

Best wishes, John

Hi John

Any idea where William signed up? There are very strong connections between N.Devon and S Gower.  The 2 population centers of Kifts are Barnstaple and Gower and the old Mumbles accent was more akin to Devonish (if that's a word)  than Welsh. I think in the 17 and 1800s, they would rather sail to N Devon than walk to Swansea.

It would just be interesting to know

Regards  Phil