Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Royal Fusiliers

PFF

There was a 7th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers during WWI. However, The Royal Fusiliers were also the 7th Regiment up until 1881. In this year regimental numbers were abolished, although some did still continue to use them unofficially. This might be the cause of some confusion.

Regards

Gavin

• 2 weeks later...

The Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) were the 'old' 7th Fusiliers. Just to add to the fun, though, the 7th (City of London) Battalion, The London Regiment, who had their HQ in Sun Street, Finsbury, EC, had as a badge a Fusilier grenade with the number '7' on it although, as far as I am aware, they had no connection with The Royal Fusiliers.

7th Londons,were part of 174th Brigade of the 58th(2/1st)London Division during the March Offensive of 1918.

I believe they were originally the 1/7th and 2/7th,before they became the 7th.

I am not sure on all of the details,but think they had been around for awhile during the war,maybe serving on the Somme in 1916 as the 1/7th.

The only thing i can be sure on,is that the 7th Londons were a Rifle Battalion and very busy from March 1918 until the end of the war.

A stab in the dark,but i am going to say City of London Regiment(Royal Fusiliers).

In one of the other Brigades of the 58th,was,for a time,the 2/1st Battalion City of London Regiment(Royal Fusiliers),which later went on to be the 2/2nd Londons.

All the best.

Simon.

Hi,

the first four battalions of the London Regiment were all Royal Fusiliers becoming the 1st/1st-1st/4th Londons in the 56th (1st/1st London) Division. The 2nd/1st-2nd/4th Londons were the second line battalions after service at Gallipoli and Egypt moved to France and were disbanded at Rouen in April 1916. The 173rd Brigade, 58th (2nd/1st London) Division was formed of the 3rd/1st-3rd/4th Battalions that were renumbered as 2nd/1st-2nd/4th Battalions in June 1916. Then on the 31st January 1918 the 1st/3rd Battalion moved to the 58th Division and absorbed the 2nd/3rd Battalion to become the 3rd Battalion, its pre-war title that was the 3rd(City of London) Bn. The London Regt. (Royal Fusiliers). The Regular battalions were 1st-4th with the 5th and 6th being reserve battalions and the 7th (Extra Reserve) Bn. Then the 8th Bn. and upwards were etc. The 10th (Service) Bn. The Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regt.) in the New Armies. Hope this helps you out.

Regards John

Maybe I'm not reading something right, or am totally off base..... :huh:

Below is copied from the mother site and it says the first 4 batallions of the RF all

were attached to different divisions?

I'm interested in the 1/1st RF as I had a Great-Great Uncle in it and thought he served with the 6th division.

Someone set me strait :blink:

Cheers,

JAY

The Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) in 1914-1918

Regular Army

1st Battalion

August 1914 : in Kinsale, Ireland. Part of 17th Brigade, 6th Division

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Battalion

August 1914 : in Calcutta, India. Returned to England January 1915. Joined 86th Brigade, 29th Division

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd Battalion

August 1914 : in Lucknow, India. Returned to England December 1914. Joined 85th Brigade, 28th Division. 15 July 1918 : transferred to 149th Brigade, 50th Division

4th Battalion

August 1914 : in Parkhurst, Isle of Wight. Part of 9th Brigade, 3rd Division

5th and 6th (Reserve) Battalions

August 1914 : in Hounslow. Remained in UK and Ireland (6th) throughout the war.

7th (Extra Reserve) Battalion

August 1914 : in Artillery Place, Finsbury. 27 July 1916 : joined the 190th Brigade, 63rd Division

The x/x Battalions are Territorial Battalions. Acoording to the LLT the Royal Fusiliers had no Territorial Battalions:

http://www.1914-1918.net/royalfus.htm

but the London Regiment, which were all Territorials, were affiliated to the Royal Fusiliers:

http://www.1914-1918.net/london.htm

So your 1st/1st RF would be 1/1st (City of London) Battalion TF (Royal Fusiliers)

which were 1st London Division, then 8th Division, the 56th Division.

At least that's the way I read it...

Hope this helps,

Steve.

The x/x Battalions are Territorial Battalions. Acoording to the LLT the Royal Fusiliers had no Territorial Battalions:

http://www.1914-1918.net/royalfus.htm

but the London Regiment, which were all Territorials, were affiliated to the Royal Fusiliers:

http://www.1914-1918.net/london.htm

So your 1st/1st RF would be 1/1st (City of London) Battalion TF (Royal Fusiliers)

which were 1st London Division, then 8th Division, the 56th Division.

At least that's the way I read it...

Hope this helps,

Steve.

The Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) certainly had no TF Battalions in 1914; they were one of 5 'Line' Regiments to have 4 regular battalions (the Middlesex, Worcesters, 60th Rifles and Rifle Brigade - I suppose you count them as 'Line' - being the others).

The first 4 Battalions of the London Regiment (a collection of more-or-less independent battalions), TF were badged and affiliated to the RF, as 1st (City of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers), but were known colloquialy as 1st Londons, etc.

So the 1st Royal Fusiliers would have been Regular, the 1/1st Londons TF, and so on.

Does this help?

If it is the 7th Bn you are interested in rather than the old(pre 1881) 7th Reg of Foot the following maybe of help.

The 7th London Reg was formed in 1861 as the 3rd London Rifle Volunteer Corps. It became a volunter battalion of the KRRC in 1881 and in 1908 transferred to the TF as the 7th(City of London) Battalion The London Reg(Royal Fusiliers).

On the outbreak of war it was in the 2nd London Brig 1st London Div, as recruiting expanded the Bn it became the 1/7th and was transferred to the 4th London Brig 2nd London Div on 5/11/14 which then became 140th Brig 47th Div.

It went to France on 18/3/15

On 19/1/18 it was broken up with some men going to the 19th Londons and the rest being amalgamated with the 2/7th Bn to become the 7th Bn 174th Brig 58th Div.

The 2/7th Bn was a second line Bn raised from the increased recruiting and was initially in 2/2nd Brig 2nd/1st London Div which became 174th Brig 58th Div.

It went to France on 25/1/17

Amalgamated as above with 1/7th.

The 7th Bn of the Royal Fusiliers was a war time only Special Reserve Bn which landed at Le Harve on 24/7/16 and on 27/7/16 joined 190th Brig of the 63rd(Royal Navy)Div until the end of the war.

Kevin

• 5 months later...

I'm new to all this! So a little confused.

My grandfather's demob papers say Royal Fusiliers, and various scraps of paper authorising him to go on leave/catch rides on transport because he's carrying dispatches (I think that's what it says - it's written in pencil and difficult to read) say 7th Bn Royal Fusiliers. Is that the same as the London regiment?

Thanks

M

It is confusing, isn't it.

The Royal Fusiliers was subtitled the City of London Regiment. But it is not the same as the London Regiment.

7th (Extra Reserve) Battalion served in France with the 63rd Division.

You have to make a distinction between the 7th City of London Regiment TF and the 7th Bn Royal Fusiliers

The "Shiny Seventh" as the 7th Londons were nicknamed, were NOT a Rifle battalion they had colours and wore scarlet tunics in full dress. They had their drill hall in the Finsbury area

The 7th Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers were not a war time only battalion. They were descended from the Royal London Militia - itself descended from the Trained Bands which went back to the middle ages. On his restoration to the throne King Charles II abolished all militia units except those of the City of London and they were not to be re-raised until 1757. The 3rd Bn Grenadier Guards, The 1st Royal Dragoons, The Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment and the Royal Marines were all recruited originally from the trained bands so it shrunk to two and then one battalion. It is one od only a few units therefore to have fought in both the Great War and the English Civil War

You have to make a distinction between the 7th City of London Regiment TF and the 7th Bn Royal Fusiliers

The "Shiny Seventh" as the 7th Londons were nicknamed, were NOT a Rifle battalion they had colours and wore scarlet tunics in full dress. They had their drill hall in the Finsbury area

The 7th Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers were not a war time only battalion. They were descended from the Royal London Militia - itself descended from the Trained Bands which went back to the middle ages. On his restoration to the throne King Charles II abolished all militia units except those of the City of London and they were not to be re-raised until 1757. The 3rd Bn Grenadier Guards, The 1st Royal Dragoons, The Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment and the Royal Marines were all recruited originally from the trained bands so it shrunk to two and then one battalion. It is one od only a few units therefore to have fought in both the Great War and the English Civil War

As previously mentioned, the 7th Battalion, The London regiment had their HQ in Shoreditch - 24 Sun Street, Finsbury Square. The 7th Bn Royal Fusiliers also had HQ in Finsbury - Artillery Place. They went to France (one of relatively few 'Resreve' Bns to do so), and were in the 190th Bde, 63rd Royal Naval Division, so I reckon grand-dad was in the 7th Bn, Royal Fusiliers, judging by the information provided.

That would make sense - his pay book shows him as 'in the field' August 1916 - January 1918 (and possibly later, it runs out of space at that point) apart from 10 days leave in Jnauray 1917. And his campaign medals show that he served in a theatre of war.

Thanks for your help

Andrea

• 7 years later...

My great uncle William Henry Flower was a private in the 7th Bt. Royal fusiliers 16427 and died in France on 18th July 1917,according to his will he died at number 8 Cis Cly St. France ?

He is buried at Etrun, and I visited his grave in 2006, but could anyone tell me what battle he was fighting in at the time of his death.

Many thanks

Sheila.

Hi PFF.

The 7th Battalion Royal Fusiliers City of London Regiment during the German Spring offensives were part of 190th Infantry Brigade 63rd Infantry Division.

21st March 1918. The battalion were deployed in Front line trenches in the vicinity of Ribecourt facing Marcoing.

22/03/18 Battalion was ordered to withdraw leaving one officer and 10 men per company as a rear guard. They withdrew to Trescourt and then to the eastern edge of Havrincourt wood.

23/03/18 Moving through Havrincourt Wood and Nieuviel the battalion withdrew to Lechelle. During heavy shelling the battalion further withdrew to a position on the Rocquingy to Bus road and by 7pm had taken up a defensive position with its left flank on the Bus to Lechelle road.

24/03/18 Battalion ordered to retire to Le Transloy and then further back to Bazentin Le Petit via Flers and High Wood.

Casualties as of 30th March 1918.

Killed in Action 1 Officer

4 Other Ranks

Wounded in Action 2 Officers

40 Other Ranks

Missing in Action 3 Officers

104 Other Ranks

Gas Casualties 250 All Ranks

Hope this helps Regards Andy

Sheila

It was probably 8th Casualty Clearing Station – a stationary medical unit through which casualties would have passed during the process of their evacuation from the point of wounding. He presumably either was dead on arrival or succumbed whilst there.

7th RF was in the Oppy-Gaverelle sector of the front line until they were relieved on the 16th. On the 17th they moved to Leeds Camp near Roclincourt. Whilst someone in C Company’s area of camp was banging in tent pegs one must have struck a dud shell which initiated killing two and wounding five. Presumably one of the wounded as your relative and he died of his wounds having been evacuated wounded. A rather sad and tragic accident – unfortunately Roclincourt had been where the front line was back in April 1917 and had been heavily shelled – presumable this shell was an unexploded remnant from this.

I hope this is of assistance.

Kind regards

Colin

Hello Colin,

Many thanks for the useful info.William Henry was listed as Killed in action, and as you say would have probably been brought to the clearing station.My great grandfather never recovered from the loss of his two sons and died in 1918 of a heart attack, we know it was a broken heart. My husband and I visited Henry's beautiful kept grave in 2006, the first of the family to do so, and I have just recieved his will from the new website.My great grandmother never saw what he wrote, but I am passing on to the family.

"One who was lost, has been found"

Many thanks

Sheila :poppy::thumbsup:

The Royal Fusiliers is a very confusing regiment. I have a relative who served 11th [service] Btn Royal fusiliers. He is shown as such at Thiepval , yet an Islington Memorial shows him as 11th [Finsbury Rifles] Royal Fusiliers. I also have 3 service numbers for him. He had only one service number so it shows that transcribing at the time was not 100% and even the authorities could get confused over City of London, County of London and London Regiment.

When looking for info on the regiment and battalions I have to make sure to go through everything at least twice to make sure I have the right one.

• 6 months later...

I am also researching a soldier from 7th Bn, RF. An article announcing his death states that he fought in Gallipoli and in France. His record includes Trones Wood, Cambrai, and it is stated that he was a signaller who died while removing some telegraphic equipment from one battalion to another. I would be grateful if anyone can shed any light, as descriptions of the 7th Bn I have read do not put this unit in Gallipoli. Thanks!

I had a great great uncle who served with 7th battalion royal fusiliers(colr). He was Killed at the battle of the scarpe 23rd April 1917.

The battalion had been virtually wiped out during the attack.

You need to post his name ,service number where from and dob if possible.

7th (Extra Reserve) Battalion
August 1914 : in Artillery Place, Finsbury.
Landed at Le Havre 24 July 1916.
27 July 1916 : joined the 190th Brigade, 63rd (Royal N

from LLT

• 4 years later...

I am seeking information on my Grandfather  G.F.W. Gosslinn Pte G/69526. In 1915 he was in the A.V.C. as Pte S.E/1168 where he was sent to Egypt . ( I assume looking after the horses and mules ) Then after the Gallipoli campaign he somehow ended up in France with the 7th Btn Royal Fusiliers. At some point he was mentioned in dispatches, for going out to rescue a wounded officer. I would dearly like to know whereabouts he was. I believe he was finally discharged in 1921. He died, just before I was born in 1947. ( I've just noticed on the Roll of Individuals that his number is GS/69526 also his A.V.C. Number is SE/ 4168, and there are several other ex - A.V.C. Ptes listed ).

I would be really grateful for any information.31268685_GosslinnMedalindex.jpg.48fc5773560d2722517c50a41fb7df7d.jpg1809260076_GosslinnMedals.thumb.jpg.bfcd5af2c3f584f83547a1ee941d0da2.jpg

Edited by trevorC
Extra information.