Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th COMPANY MACHINE GUN CORPS 1917

Guest Ian Topham

Guest Ian Topham

Can anyone help with the following?

My question concerns the 5th Company, Machine Gun Corps on or about Saturday 22nd December 1917

Where were they?

To which major unit were they attached? ( Army, Corps, Division, Brigade, Regiment, Battalion etc)

What action (if any) were they taking part in?

What uniform embellishments would members of the unit have worn at that time (if any)? :blink:

Many thanks, the above concerns a of sort of relative of mine (my grandmothers 1st husband) 62852 Pte James Hickey, killed in action that day

Ian Topham

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Ian,

5th MG Coy were part of the Machine Gun Corps, a regiment in their own right. They were part of a larger army formation in this case the 2nd Division. This Division were engaged in the Battle of Cambrai between late November and early December 1917. As Pte Hickey is buried in the Hermies Hill British Cemetery, which is in the Pas de Calais, I would have thought rather than being killed in action, he died of wounds, possible received at Cambrai (??).

A look up on Soldiers Died Great War should confirm KiA or DOW.

I should add this is just a theory, perhaps someone with SDGW can give you some more help.

Ian

:)

Ian

From SDGW:

Pte James Hickey

Machine Gun Corps.

Born: St Helens Lancs.

Enlisted: St Helens

Died date: 23/12/17

Killed in Action

Formerly 1470. S. Lancs Regt.

Yup,

"Debt of Sacrifice " adds that he was:

"Husband of Annie Winifred Sumner (formerly Hickey), of Club St., Moss Bank, St. Helens."

5 Coy MGC formed 1 Jan 16, Bde MG Coy of 5th Bde, 2nd Division. To 2 Bn MGC on formation of the Bn on 4 Mar 18.

We can only speculate, but I wouldn't be surprised to find he got 'stonked'. 2 days before Christmas. Life's a.. isn't it. :(