Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying this hospital

Sue S

This is a long shot I know but does anyone have any idea where this hospital is? The writer of the postcard states that his new leg had arrived but he had not seen it yet.944439236_PickHospital(2).jpg.05b1708ca882c26bd4b12cb387f22d10.jpg

Edited by Sue S

Is the numberplate on the car decipherable? I don't know if that would enable us to home in on a region.

Morning and thank you for your replies. I had not even thought about the car but on closer inspection it does look like the letter U. Certainly an avenue worth pursuing. Thank you.

• Admin

Maybe St James Hospital in Leeds? 

• Admin

We can potentially rule out Becketts Park Military Hospital Leeds (a precursor to St James) due to the absence of other nearby structures 

Military Hospital, Beckett Park, Leeds

Leeds General Infirmary on Great George Street may be an option (looking for contemporary photos)

• Admin

Chapel Allerton  hospital was used as a limbless rehabilitation hospital.

Have checked Chapel Allerton. It appears to have opened in 1927. The chap I am researching was running a large farm in 1921. Back to the drawing board but thanks for the suggestion.

53 minutes ago, Sue S said:

Have checked Chapel Allerton. It appears to have opened in 1927. The chap I am researching was running a large farm in 1921. Back to the drawing board but thanks for the suggestion.

Is there any suggestion of a date on the card ?

Craig

• Admin

The 2nd Northen General hospital had a limbless centre and was based as far as I can tell at Becketts Park. On the first link there’s a lot of buildings off to the side.

https://www.headingleyleeds.com/historic-headingley-campus

https://archives.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/index.php/2nd-northern-general-hospital-leeds-postcard-2

@Sue S

Any chance you could get a better high resolution scan of that numberplate? Also tge cap badges might be clearer and provide clues.

I personally can't see anything other than U (other than IJ - which, starting with 'I'  would have been an Irish registration. However, IJ doesn't seem to have existed).

If it is U, that means it was registered in Leeds, but of course, people bought cars to travel, although in this period, not huge distances. A numberplate then was much more likely to  stay local than nowadays. Maybe widen the search area to a 50 mile radius?

1 hour ago, PhilB said:

Although the car looks to have a military driver which makes it less likely to be locally registered?

Yes, you're right.

On 28/01/2022 at 11:16, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

@Sue S

I personally can't see anything other than U (other than IJ - which, starting with 'I'  would have been an Irish registration. However, IJ doesn't seem to have existed).

It looks like "IJ" to me, which did exist; it was (and is) for Co. Down. However, does the spacing of the numbers (xx xx) suggest a military number-plate? If so, it may not refer to a county.

1 hour ago, Michael Pegum said:

It looks like "IJ" to me, which did exist; it was (and is) for Co. Down. However, does the spacing of the numbers (xx xx) suggest a military number-plate? If so, it may not refer to a county.

Thanks Michael,

So it does.
Typical, IJ doesn't appear in the Wiki link I posted above for UK registrations. Why didn't I spot it in the Irish numbers list???

Belfast?

Re:-spacing. Hard to tell from this scan, a better one is required really.

• Admin

Old Royal Victoria Hospital ? 

4 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Old Royal Victoria Hospital ? 

Hi Michelle,

do you mean the one at Netley? If so, I don't think so: not with that line of terraced houses/chimneys on the left.

sJ

2 hours ago, seaJane said:

...not with that line of terraced houses/chimneys on the left.

To my eye not terraced houses but  barracks or large wards?  Possibly one of the older, long established military hospitals rather than a general hospital; some of the architectural features of the background buildings are similar to those of some parts of the extensive Cambridge Military Hospital, Aldershot which had multiple wings, but I'm hesitant to suggest that this might be the location.

NigelS

• Admin
9 hours ago, seaJane said:

Hi Michelle,

do you mean the one at Netley? If so, I don't think so: not with that line of terraced houses/chimneys on the left.

sJ

No I meant the one In Belfast.

Unable to contribute anything, beyond that the the car is a 2 seater Model T Ford and is pre 1916.  Also the young lady centre front has also suffered limb loss.  Possibly a munitions worker?