Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. A Chapman E. Sussex att RFC

thedawnpatrol

Hi

just looking at one of my Logbooks to A Chapman which covers the period August 1916 to May 1917, and covers his training.

there are some interesting comments he has made, firstly the reference to Albert Ball, Crashed machine whilst taking off......but I'm presuming he does not refer to Ball regarding the 'to Hospital' but himself........

its a bit mixed up........he did not fly again until 10th May. But what happened to him after this ?

any information or opinions  much apreachated 

IMG_8855.JPG

IMG_8856.JPG

IMG_8857.JPG

IMG_8858.JPG

IMG_8859.JPG

IMG_8860.JPG

IMG_8862.JPG

IMG_8863.JPG

IMG_8864.JPG

8 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Ex East Surrey rather than Sussex?

Yes of course too hasty to post !

Ball was between tours at the time having already clocked up over 30 confirmed victories. He was dead four months later, with 44 confirmed victories. Good job it was only Chapman that was injured! 

Very few dual hours and five hours solo and already Chapman was being tested as a potential Scout pilot? Ball must have had nerves of steel to walk away from this sort of experience.

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

Ball was between tours at the time having already clocked up over 30 confirmed victories. He was dead four months later, with 44 confirmed victories. Good job it was only Chapman that was injured! 

Very few dual hours and five hours solo and already Chapman was being tested as a potential Scout pilot? Ball must have had nerves of steel to walk away from this sort of experience.

Yes, it's food for thought that Chapman could have killed one of our greatest aces ! 

11 hours ago, thedawnpatrol said:

Charlie, can you post his casualty card please? 

http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/chapman-a

Hope link works.

Edit- tested , link works. You will have to hover over the bottom right of the four cards presented to see details for Allan Chapman, 11th East Surreys. Note that in pencil it says Ball was uninjured thus no casualty card made out for him.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Allan Chapman was born 18/3/1897. He was the adopted son of William H Chapman.

After the war he became MP for Rutherglen from 1935 and during WW2 he was, after a period as assistant postmaster general,  undersecretary of state for Scotland.

He died 7/1/1966.

You will find numerous press clippings for his later career. When he was elected MP, amongst his past career there was reference to him being invalided after crashing with Albert Ball as well as saying he became a home based night flying instructor involved with night aerial defence of London.

Charlie

Thank you Charlie, all very interesting and I really appreciate your help.

cheers

Julian

I am not sure what you have already Nor what you might be after but I posted what I thought might be of general interest.

From one or two articles I read about his character, I suspect he dined out more than once on the story of how he tried to kill Albert Ball.

Thanks for sharing the extract and photos.

Charlie