Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Friedichstad POW Camp WW1

2li

Hello I am researching this soldier who died in WW1 as a pow nothing found on Ancestry but the usal medal card and casualty information

I know he was a POW some time in late 1918, and held at the Friedrichstad pow camp where he died and he was later interned in Niederwehren Military Cemetery, Kassel, Germany, Grave Ref V. M. 4.

All I have is a small newspaper entry which reads Missing Robert’s G. 201116, “D” Coy., 1/4th K.S.L.I. Prisoner of Friederickfield Camp, 7 October 1918, believed to be released on 11 November, Mrs. Robert’s, of 13 St. Michael’s terrace, Shrewsbury, 

Are there any more documents to be found regarding him has a POW or a site which is might be able to help with this topic

kind regards

Philip

Hello,

Apparently he was a prisoner of FRIEDRICHSFELD POW camp (and NOT Friedrichstad or anything else). He was originally buried in Gießen in 1918 (meaning he must have died in a hospital or camp in that area as Gießen is +/- 200 km away from Friedrichsfeld) and exhumed and reburied in Kassel in 1923: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/904196/g-roberts/

People with more knowledge of POW camps may be able to tell something more (I don't know whether prisoners officially attached to Friedrichsfeld were actually working or held elsewhere).

Jan

1 hour ago, charlie2 said:

He was never held at Giessen, he died of pneumonia while being transferred from Charleville to Giessen.

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/4147371/3/2/

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/696438/3/2/

Charlie

0A91191D-F85D-4264-9A8C-B7214E0DBC98.jpeg

988F750C-E800-43CC-8896-2C292CFB3779.jpeg

Hello Charlie,

Interesting as I hadn't found this info on ICRC via the card you had provided.

Anyway, it seems George Roberts may not have been at Friedrichsfeld either since he died while being transported from Charleville to Gießen. He was probably working as a POW on the Western Front since being captured near Ypres (I know that the German 4. Armee exchanged its British and French POWs for Belgian civilians (ZAB) in 1918). He must have died on the train and was then buried in Gießen after the Lazarettzug arrived at its destination.

Jan

19 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

Interesting as I hadn't found this info on ICRC via the card you had provided.

Jan

Its always a good idea to have a look in the „miscelleneous“ section at the very beginning of the name if there is one(hope that makes sense)

I agree, in all probability he was never anywhere near Friedrichfeld and had just been held in the echelon area till his transfer. The PoWs had to been registered somewhere and Friedrichfeld was one of the big central camps used for just registration purposes.

Charlie

5C5B9050-40E9-4E55-9380-6885FE4266CB.jpeg

Dear All

Firstly my apologies for not replying to my first ask and secondly thank you all who contributed to this topic

I have a better understanding to what happened to George after his capture on April 10 1918, and that he never was buried at Frederichsfeld camp.

I only wish a pension card was available for him might throw up some more clews

All the very best to you all

PHILIP