Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Witness to Christmas Truce football match?

Skipman

"ANTIQUES ROADSHOW's resident expert was left blown away by an "astonishing" WW1 letter after it revealed the details of a historical football match that took place around Christmas time."

I have my doubts. A name/regiment might have helped.

The Express :rolleyes:

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1540948/Antiques-Roadshow-expert-astonished-rare-WW1-letter

Mike

So, a letter written in 1940 by a Grenadier Guard NCO, Sgt Major Barker, about a WW1 football game. Not the clearest article by any means.

Craig

3 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

I assume 1940 is meant to read 1914 ?

Craig

I imagine so. Not sure of anything regarding this. will see if can find actual prog.

Mike

Long Long Trail "1st Grenadier Guards: Moved forward on 18 December and held the line on the right of Scots Guards. They were relieved by the latter on 23 December and moved to billets on Rue de Quesnes. Major-General Capper and the Prince of Wales visited the battalion on Christmas Eve. The diary for Christmas only mentions the arrival of a draft."

Mike

5 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Long Long Trail "1st Grenadier Guards: Moved forward on 18 December and held the line on the right of Scots Guards. They were relieved by the latter on 23 December and moved to billets on Rue de Quesnes. Major-General Capper and the Prince of Wales visited the battalion on Christmas Eve. The diary for Christmas only mentions the arrival of a draft."

Mike

So it looks like the 1st were in billets that day, away from the front (but perhaps had a burial party out ?).

Craig

3 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Repeats at Xmas - don't believe it Mike :whistle:

Craig

On 25/12/2021 at 11:44, Skipman said:

"ANTIQUES ROADSHOW's resident expert was left blown away by an "astonishing" WW1 letter after it revealed the details of a historical football match that took place around Christmas time."

I have my doubts. A name/regiment might have helped.

The Express :rolleyes:

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1540948/Antiques-Roadshow-expert-astonished-rare-WW1-letter

Mike

With the Excess website being even slower and more unusable than the Fail's, I was unable to access the article, but if the 'expert' was that twerp who sobs his way through half the slots he has on AR, I would be shovelling salt down with that story faster than a political prisoner in Siberia, frankly.

On 25/12/2021 at 12:56, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

If only they had VAR....

Keep up. It's 'The Var' now, daddy-oh. Or possibly you could use the indefinite article in this case, so let's go with 'a Var'.

Edited by Steven Broomfield